Missing link saga: Seattle Hearing Examiner wants Environmental Impact Statement from SDOT

Posted by Meghan Walker on August 29th, 2012

Plans to fix the “missing link” of the Burke-Gilman Trail are stalled again. The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is being required to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) based on findings from the City of Seattle Hearing Examiner. The Examiner found that the Shilshole segment of the missing link will create, “significant adverse impacts in the form of traffic hazards…because of conflicts between truck movements and other vehicle traffic and trail users.” In addition to the EIS, SDOT  will have to study alternatives to the missing link.

The Ballard business representatives Paul Nerdrum, vice president of Salmon Bay Sand & Gravel Co. and Warren Aarkevik, owner of Ballard Oil, say they want the city to study the plans in order to fully explore the consequences of developing a trail through a major business corridor.

“We want a trail that is safe and does not undermine the viability of the maritime and industrial businesses so we can continue operating and providing family-wage jobs and benefits to the entire community,” said Nerdrum, Vice President of Salmon Bay Sand & Gravel Co. in a press release. In the same release, Aarkevik said the examiner agreed with the businesses, “that the City must study these issues and prove it can safely build a recreational trail through the heart of the maritime and industrial industry in Ballard without putting people’s lives at risk.”

An attorney who represents the Ballard businesses, Josh Brower, said the trail is too dangerous because it crosses 55 industrial driveways and intersections in under two miles. The businesses hope to see an alternative design and alignment for the missing link; they’d like to see a cycle-track that would go up Leary Ave, where it could connect to NW Market St.

SDOT has yet to respond to the Hearing Examiner’s decision.

• 1 ヨガ ピラティス // Oct 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to
    find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Feel free to visit my website; ヨガ ピラティス

• 2 パンツ thin finn スキニー // Oct 25, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post
    seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if
    this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I
    thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great
    though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Thanks

My web-site: パンツ thin finn スキニー

• 3 tiger roar shorts // Nov 7, 2014 at 5:26 am

I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this website
    on regular basis to get updated from hottest gossip.

• 4 dog bed crate // Nov 11, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

• 5 fisher price little people figurines // Nov 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours as of late, but I by no means
    discovered any fascinating article like yours.

It is lovely value enough for me. Personally, if all
    site owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably
    did, the net will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

• 6 earphones headphones vm // Nov 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

May I just say what a relief to discover someone that really knows what they are
    discussing on the web. You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More people must look at this and understand this side of
    the story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.

• 7 friends plates sale // Nov 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm

This info is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out more?