A number of talented Ballard High School students participated in the 2013 Washington Music Educators Association (WMEA) All-State performing groups gala event last weekend. The students were selected through auditions from a pool of 2200 applicants to participate in the program that was held in Portland, Oregon.
“Our finest school musicians from throughout our state rehearsed and performed in concert under the direction of world-renowned conductors,” said an event representative.
Congratulations to the following students who were selected to participate:
- Alina Kido-Matzner: Flute, All-NW Band
- George Chrisafis: Tenor, All-State Symphonic Choir
- Julia Quandt: Soprano, All-State Symphonic Choir
- Maddie LeClair: Soprano, All-State Symphonic Choir
- Maddy Barnes: Soprano, All-NW Mixed Choir
- Natalia Roberts-Buceta: Mezzo-Soprano, All-NW Mixed Choir
- Tara Snevoll: Violin, All State Symphonic Orchestra
Congratulations also to BHS staff Courtney Rowley, Director of Choirs, Michael, Director of Bands and Brittany Newell, Director of Orchestras for their work with the students.
Many professional musicians started their careers from their All-State gala performance experience including jazz saxophonist Kenny G.