Lights on at local synthetic fields July 3 and 4

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on July 1st, 2014

By Joe Veyera

Seattle Parks & Recreation will be lighting up the night at ballfields throughout the city on July 3 and 4, in an effort to discourage the use of fireworks, which are both illegal in the Seattle city limits, and destroy the fields’ artificial turf.

Beginning at 8:45 p.m., the lights will be turned on at 13 local fields, and will stay on until 10 p.m. at three fields, and 11 p.m. at the other ten. The fields will be monitored by security between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

“All the fields have been renovated in the past several years and benefit field users including players of soccer, football, baseball, Ultimate Frisbee and lacrosse,” reads a statement from Seattle Parks & Recreation.

Nearby, the lights will be on at the Loyal Heights Playfield (2101 NW 77th St) from 8:45 to 10 p.m. As part of the 2000 Pro Parks Levy, that field was converted from natural grass to artificial turf in the spring of 2007.

For more information and a full list of playfields that will be illuminated, click here, or call Seattle Parks and Recreation Security Manager Marlan Teeters at 206.684.7088.

• 1 Uncle Sam // Jul 1, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Fireworks don’t usually start until it gets dark– as in 10pm (right when they will turn the lights off).

I’m sure that 9a-4p security will also be very helpful. What a waste of time and electricity.
    Just hose the field off or something more useful

• 2 nancy // Jul 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm

What about grassy parks, like Gilman and Ross? How about turning on on the sprinkler systems at 9pm and have them run until 1am? Those two parks are flooded with fireworks and both are right in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

• 3 Amy // Jul 1, 2014 at 1:47 pm

We really need security at Gilman that evening. Fireworks go off all night in that field starting around midnight.

• 4 BalGal // Jul 1, 2014 at 2:26 pm

nancy’s suggestion is brilliant! love ideas for solutions rather than just complaints or sarcasm

• 5 guesty // Jul 1, 2014 at 4:52 pm

doesn’t matter either way – if the fields are ruined us good ‘ol taxpayers will be happy to replace them, yet again.

• 6 Stinky Bum // Jul 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm

C’mon, Nancy, Amy and BalGal. Just a little fun, the kids love it and nothing has burnt down yet! In fact the scofflaws clean up after themselves like the good Ballardians we are.

• 7 Really clean bum // Jul 1, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Besides, Nancy’s idea is a BAD idea.

To run sprinklers for four hours and waste all that water just so Nancy and her ilk (Amy and BalGal) can get a good night sleep is just RIDICULOUS.

I’m going over there with a portable hair-dryer tomorrow morning to blow on the grass and make it EXTRA dry. Just like I take my gin and tonic.

• 8 authority comfort wrinkle // Nov 22, 2014 at 4:44 pm

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right.

This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had
    spent for this information! Thanks!

• 9 cable black f // Dec 1, 2014 at 6:20 pm

There is certainly a great deal to know about this issue.
    I like all the points you have made.

• 10 gage nokia bl 6c // Dec 3, 2014 at 11:54 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

• 11 touch generation bukit cell // Dec 10, 2014 at 8:48 am

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to
    a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

• 12 panasonic cgr d16a // Dec 11, 2014 at 11:34 am

Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i
    read this article i thought i could also create comment due to this sensible article.

• 13 chinese training chopsticks // Dec 15, 2014 at 1:11 pm

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t
    afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.