Amazon’s mysterious “Project X” could open on 15th this year

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on November 28th, 2016

amazon

According to GeekWire, Amazon’s mysterious “Project X” could open on 15th Ave NW this year.

According to a recent report the Ballard store looks like it’s on track based to open in the near future. Last week the project received a temporary certificate of occupancy from the city, which indicates that major construction aspects of the project are finished, and that Amazon can begin to occupy the building.

The My Ballard team originally reported the news back in August when first news of the project was released.

Check out the below description of how the mysterious “Project X” officially works from the City of Seattle’s planning documents:

When placing an online order, customers will schedule a specific 15-minute to two-hour pick up window. Peak time slots will sell out, which will help manage traffic flow within the customer parking adjacent to the building.

When picking up purchased items, customers can either drive into a designated parking area with eight parking stalls where the purchased items will be delivered to their cars or they can walk into the retail area to pick up their items.

Customers will also be able to walk into the retail room to place orders on a tablet. Walk in customers will have their products delivered to them in the retail room.

A second drive-up grocery location, just south of downtown Seattle, is also apparently in progress.

According to GeekWire’s report, Amazon is not the only company planning a click-and-collect grocery model. Ballard Fred Meyer is reportedly getting ready to open its own pick up location before the new year.

• 1 Bill // Nov 28, 2016 at 7:08 am

I really don’t care about ‘project X’ as I will never use it.

Instead, I came here to complain about some of the horrible dog-owners in our neighborhood.

Why do some of you think it’s acceptable to walk right up to the side of my house and use my garbage can for your dog poo? This has happened several times in recent weeks.

I’ll be eating dinner with my family when some shithead starts fumbling with the can. The jerk yesterday didn’t even put the lid on properly.

Try that again and I will follow you home with your goody bag!

• 2 A metaphor // Nov 28, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I get it…. it’s a metaphor. Amazon is the dog owner and its store is a bag of sh!t dropped in our trash that we didn’t want!

• 3 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 28, 2016 at 2:43 pm

@Bill

Yes, they love to dump their “baby’s” crap bags everywhere, and bring them into the grocery store because they have panic attacks being “dog free” for five minutes. It’s fun stepping over them on the bus, too. Save the planet!

• 4 Bryce // Nov 28, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Good to see Amazon stepping up and putting in a business that takes a dump on Mike O’Brien’s silly obsession with walk/bike infrastructure in a car dependent corner of the city. This modern drive up establishment will hopefully serve the neighborhood well for the next 2 decades while we wait for light rail.

• 5 @macartisan // Nov 28, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Not being an old-time Ballardite but a 30-year Seattle resident, I’ll ignore the previous ‘lawn order’ grouches…why, by the way, do all Seattle building discussions devolve into rants about dog poop within 3 messages?

I try to see what might come of Project X.

I’ve been watching the progress of the rebuild since August along my commute, and as of this afternoon, all the big construction machines have disappeared, and all the visible signs suggest the interior work is down to mere carpentry. That indicates a fully operational DeathSta………er, alternative grocery outlet will be up and running within 2 months.

I do worry about the traffic flow, but coupled with the rumor that the northbound right lane will be reserved for bus traffic, I expect there will be gaps for grocery pickup. I’ll be even able walk a couple blocks with a cart, pick up, and get back home before the next rain shower.

Now, if you want to rant, how the hell are we going to get through 15 & Market with that damned new 6-story office construction project for the next 18 months?!

• 6 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 29, 2016 at 10:29 am

@5
    Good point. I’m sure Amzn cares as much about Seattle as it does about the flyover states; that being “not at all”.

Rootless cosmopolitanism is a dead end. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2017. Read up on what Chinese investment did to the housing market in Vancouver. They’ve set their sights on Seattle, so enjoy!

Maybe all the people who want a “divorce” from flyover country will finally make the holy pilgrimage to China or India, or for really cool folks, Somalia.

Running to Canada is for crypto racists who drink cheap beer and watch hockey.

Go large and move to a really progressive place!

• 7 He Hate Me // Nov 29, 2016 at 10:30 am

@4, why do you have a problem with safety?
    I’ll be riding my bike to this store, I can’t wait. I’ll also be riding my bike past all of you stuck in your cars in traffic. Remember, you driving, along with everyone else, is what creates traffic. Not bike lanes, not reduce speed limits, not stop light timing. Too many cars creates traffic. See I5, no stop lights, high speed limit, no bike lanes, often total gridlock. Figure it out. I’m not adding to your misery on my bike, I’m helping you out. You’re so very welcome.

• 8 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 29, 2016 at 11:09 am

@7
    Cyclists would have more fans around here if they weren’t largely (not all) status signaling yuppies who preach about traffic and pollution while working for industries that devastated domestic manufacturing. They also support all these other taxes, not just the ones related to bike lanes, so it makes them an obvious target for reactionaries driving to their job to earn that tax money for sanctuary babies’ health care and schooling.

The cyclists went “rootless cosmopolitan” instead of “populist” while fetishizing the very practical use of the bicycle for folks in other places who wouldn’t ever be able to afford a car. The irony is lost on them that pricing the “white trash” out of the city just means these folks have to drive more/farther to commute to the burbs and strips outside the precious and overpriced core neighborhoods.

I really like Europe, no sarcasm, but some of the cyclists are neoliberal jerks who just want theirs. I feel for the service workers commuting via bike, and the city should do more for their safety – including policing areas where they are vulnerable and stop coddling these thieving junkies who steal bikes with impunity.

• 9 Grand Wizard Kluxelsteinberg // Nov 29, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Why do they need to bring this imported Chinese crap to the neighborhood since it will all end up at the dump at some point or another

I suggest they cut out the middleman.

Resolved: Amazon should take their shipments from the stevedores, to the regional distribution centers, and to the various municipal dumps of the communities’ whose quality of life has been ruined by this thing we now call an economy.

• 10 He Hate Me // Nov 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm

@8 Rainbow, you have a very vivid imagination! Do you actually know people that ride bicycles? I’m guessing no, since whatever you say about people that ride bicycles couldn’t be further from the truth. Because, news flash, riding a bicycle isn’t a political statement. It’s just a form of transportation.

@9 Granwhatever, um, it’s a grocery store. What “imported Chinese crap ” do you think they’ll be selling?

• 11 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 30, 2016 at 9:30 am

@10
    I get it, yes, you are not a liberal and yes, I know now all cyclists are liberals. You must concede that as a political bloc, however, here they are very liberal and it’s very often part of an affect and identity.

Here’s a neat article from the Left rag Huff Po:

“About 149,000 jobs have been lost as Amazon’s business has expanded, according to the analysis from the nonprofit Institute for Local Self-Reliance, which advocates for fair, sustainable local economies.”

• 12 He Hate Me // Nov 30, 2016 at 12:36 pm

@11 rainbow, Wait, you know I’m not liberal, I ride a bike and you know that all people that ride bikes are liberal. As usual, you don’t make any sense.
    So sad the economy is changing, as it always does. So sad some people lost their jobs because of it. So glad Amazon is a local company hiring shitloads of people in Seattle, boosting our economy, home values and flooding the local tax coffers. Don’t you love it?!

• 13 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 30, 2016 at 1:18 pm

@12
    ” I know now all cyclists are liberals. ” Typo
    I know not all cyclists are liberals.

Tell me more about evil Walmart and lovely Amzn.

I’m all ears.

• 14 He Hate Me // Nov 30, 2016 at 5:40 pm

@Rainbow, you liberals are all the same. Amazon is a great American company, based on great American greed. What more cold anyone want? As soon as they completely corner the market and drive out or acquire all competition they’ll be a virtual monopoly. Except for that damn foreign Alibaba.

• 15 Man up and do it // Dec 1, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Just do a bomb already, wussies.

• 16 Don't believe the hype // Dec 2, 2016 at 12:09 am

“Mysterious Project ‘X'”?????

Does MyBallard get a kickback from Amazon, because there is nothing remotely mysterious about this development.

Honestly the business model seems kind of dumb (why pick it up at that point if I can just have some truck drop it off on my porch).

But creating some mystery always makes things more exciting, doesn’t it!? What on earth are they making where I once ate sub-par Chicken King Pao????

• 17 King? // Dec 3, 2016 at 7:36 pm

I bet more than half the readers are like “what’s a louies?”

• 18 PANKAJ KUMAR // Feb 6, 2017 at 8:37 pm