Major accident and fire on Holman Road

Posted by Geeky Swedes on March 13th, 2017

Update on Tuesday AM: Security camera footage captured the moment the SUV slammed into the gas pump:

Amazingly the two occupants of that SUV were not injured. The driver of the other vehicle sustained life-threatening injuries.

Updated 9:10 p.m. There’s a large fire response for a two-car accident on Holman Road near 6th Ave. in Crown Hill. After the collision, a SUV smashed into a gas pump and burst into flames at the Shell station near 4th Ave. Witnesses report an explosion, and the driver was able to escape, according to KIRO TV. Holman is currently closed in both directions.

The force of the accident resulted in a large amount of debris spread across Holman. At least one person is injured and transported to Harborview. KIRO says one of the drivers is undergoing a field sobriety test, which could be standard procedure. Here’s a report from KIRO’s Henry Rosoff:

• 1 Chris // Mar 14, 2017 at 9:47 am

This was NOT an accident. There’s a reason the SPD use the word “collision” rather than “accident”. When you say “accident” you basically imply it was unavoidable and nobody was at fault. Nearly all traffic fatalities are avoidable and only happen because people chose to drive distracted, intoxicated or at speeds too fast or slow for the conditions. Fact is such behavior is criminal and should be treated as such. We don’t tolerate people mishandling firearms yet somehow we happily tolerate people mishandling automobiles. It’s also worth remembering that cars kill more people than guns or terrorists and are the number one killer of children in the US.

• 2 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Mar 14, 2017 at 10:34 am

Day or night, people drive too fast through that area.

• 3 Dan Arles // Mar 14, 2017 at 10:54 am

How freakin’ fast was this guy going in a 35mph zone?! He hit the other car so hard that it was cut in half by the tree he knocked it into.

Assuming this was speed-related, throw the book at him, drunk or not! They should treat extremely reckless driving as attempted homicide in situations like this.

• 4 Josh // Mar 14, 2017 at 11:27 am

What is the most amazing was the guy fueling up at the pump in front of the one leveled without getting a scratch or burned, his car included! It reminds me of the time General Schwarzkopf called a car passing over a bridge “the luckiest man in Iraq” just be fore a rocket slammed into the bridge destroying it. This was the luckiest guy in Seattle yesterday. Has he been identified? He had just stepped from behind his car to the driver’s door when the impact occurred. What a story he has to tell.

• 5 Greydon Clark // Mar 14, 2017 at 11:35 am

@3 a friend witnessed this crash, he estimates the SUV was going 70-80 mph.

• 6 Meg Pasquini // Mar 14, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Chris, perfectly put. There is a difference between an accident and a collision.
    An accident can cause a collision but a collision isn’t always an accident.

• 7 Truth // Mar 15, 2017 at 8:37 am

With our lax driving laws, the SUV driver will probably do little time, walk away with a citation and be driving again next week. At worst, their insurance premiums will go way up.

• 8 Shannon // Mar 15, 2017 at 1:06 pm

The 35 year old man driving the car that was hit was from Edmonds area and my children grew up with him and his 3 sisters. They are a wonderful family who didn’t deserve to have their son taken from them due to stupidity.

• 9 Josh // Mar 15, 2017 at 2:49 pm

From Shannon’s comment it sounds like he lost his life. He was at least seriously injured.
    Turns out the SUV driver was an Uber driver and his passenger was a customer. I wonder if he had insurance? Uber requires it but they do not buy it or verify it. The woman passenger may not be an Uber customer now. I think it talked me out of it.

• 10 Bob Ravet // Mar 15, 2017 at 10:02 pm

It war reported on tonight’s news the driver has died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the collision.

• 11 gabrielle // Mar 17, 2017 at 11:49 am

This was a tragic accident, I believe. I saw this all happen, and spoke with the uber passenger. It sounds like there were mechanical problems with the suv, but I guess we won’t know until an investigation happens. I also sat with the man in the black car that was hit until fire/rescue arrived. If you knew this man, or are his family, I held his hand, and did my best to comfort him while waiting for ems. I am so sorry for your loss. I have been thinking about that man and his family all week.

• 12 Gabrielle // Mar 17, 2017 at 12:45 pm

@8

• 13 Charles // Mar 17, 2017 at 4:16 pm

It was my son who lost his life in this accident. Gabrielle – thank you so much for providing comfort to my him in his time of need and now to our family. God bless you!

• 14 Gabrielle // Mar 17, 2017 at 6:54 pm

@13 Charles, again, I am so very sorry for your family’s loss. If I can provide any comfort regarding the moments I was there, just ask. I will figure out how to get you my email. Our family is thinking of yours, and wishing you peace and healing.