By Bucky Beaver
Ballard High School will have eight student-athletes competing 7 events at the Washington state track and field competition this weekend:
- Senior Dominique Smith qualified for state in both the long jump and 100m dash. Smith won Kingco and Bi-Districts in the long jump and finished 4th in the 100m. Prelims in the 100m dash are Friday morning at 11:00 am with finals Saturday at 11:10 am. The long jump competition is Saturday at 1:50 pm.
- Senior Stu Thomas qualified for state in both the 300m low hurdles and 110m high hurdles taking second in both events. Thomas set the school record on Friday in the 300m low hurdles. Thomas has prelims in the 110m hurdles Thursday evening at 5:40 pm with finals on Friday evening at 5:30 pm. Prelims in the 300m hurdles are Friday afternoon at 1:00 pm with finals 10:35 am Saturday morning.
- Senior Mia Wrey qualified in the 800m winning the Bi-district event with a time of 2:13.4. Wrey has the 4th fastest time in the state this season. Prelims are at 12:25 pm Friday afternoon with finals at 10:10 am Saturday morning.
- Junior Carolyn Birkenfeld qualified in the 200m dash getting 5th at the Bi-District event. Prelims are Friday evening at 6:30 pm with finals 2:55 pm Saturday afternoon.
- The girls 4x400m team is the fastest in the whole state! They have knocked 7 seconds off their time in the last two weeks alone and also own the school record. The team consists of freshman Nicole Godbout, Senior Mia Wrey, Senior Emma Onstad-Hawes, Senior Cat Banobi, freshman Jamie Smith, and Junior Carolyn Birkenfeld. Prelims are Thursday night at 6:30 pm with the finals on Saturday at 4:30 pm.
The state track and field event is held at Mount Tahoma High School in Tacoma (4634 S 74th St Tacoma, WA 98409), More details on the state meet can be found here.
Pictured above: Dominique Smith and Mia Wrey. Photos courtesy of Ed Tanaka and Ballard Athletics