Kyle Moore from the Seattle Fire Department confirmed that a burning candle was the cause of the RV fire in Ballard early this morning.
The SFD were alerted to the situation when multiple 911 callers reported hearing explosions and seeing the fire at approximately 2:31 a.m. this morning.
“When firefighters arrived they found the two occupants of the motorhome has safely evacuated. Because everyone was out of the burning coach, firefighters went defensive, meaning they fought the flames from outside if the RV,” says Moore.
Moore confirmed that it took 8 minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control and 13 minutes to completely extinguish the flames.
The burning RV also caught a nearby telephone/power pole on fire, and the power lines directly above the fire proved to be a hazard for the firefighters.
The occupants were transported to Harborview Medical Center with minor burns to their hands and the estimated damage caused to the motor home is $5,000.
According to a report by KIRO 7, an RV parked on NW 45th St near 6th Ave NW exploded into flames early this morning with two passengers inside.
The report confirms that neighbors heard two explosions before the motorhome burst into flames.
A man and a woman were inside the RV at the time of the explosion and have luckily escaped with only minor burns to their hands. The security camera from a nearby business captured a video of the explosion (see still above).
According to the report, the explosions blew holes in the RV which is now a completely charred structure (see photo below).
The My Ballard team has requested more information from the Seattle Fire Department and will update the story when more is known.
Photos courtesy of KIRO 7.