Seattle has a full weekend ahead, and Ballard joins the fun with Maritime’s Anniversary block party, Nordic Heritage Museum’s annual Run Like a Viking race and lots of live music including a free in-store show this Sunday at Sonic Boom Records.
Commuters are advised to to be aware of several other events happening around the city that will affect area traffic. The Mariners play the White Sox at Safeco all three days this weekend with about 35,000 people expected to attend each game.
Meanwhile, four runs this weekend will affect street traffic in Fremont for Saturday’s Seattle Marathon 10K Race, and along Lake Washington Blvd for Sunday’s Iron Girl Seattle Triathlon. Also on Sunday, a free KEXP concert that is expected to draw a large crowd at the Pike Place Market.
You can expect a warm, rain-free next three days, with a high of 83 degrees on Sunday. Have a great weekend, Ballard!
FRIDAY, August 21
- Live Music
- Toast (5615 24th Ave NW) grand opening under new ownership– celebration from 7 p.m.-10 p.m. with live music (Tyler Edwards and guests), samples and drink specials.
- Rock/Pop at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Tape Stacks, Weeknites, and Faintly. Tickets $8.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Tractor Tavern (5213 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Danny Newcomb & the Sugarmakers and Massy Ferguson. Tickets $10.
- DJ, Hiphop/R&B/Soul/Funk at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Grynch, DJ Nick Beeba, and Prometheus Brown. Tickets $8.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Ballard Homestay (6541 Jones Ave NW) at 7:30 p.m. Featuring Byrne & Kelly. Tickets $35/$40.
- Jazz at Egan’s Ballard Jam House (1707 NW Market St). “Date with the Moon” Featuring the Songs of Frenchman Charles Trenet, with Arwen Dewey, Pianoman VIC & Robertson Witmer at 7 p.m. Tickets $13 online; Mighty Squirrel at 9 p.m. Tickets $10.
SATURDAY, August 22
- Maritime Pacific Brewing 25th Anniversary Block Party– All Ballard’s breweries and beer fanatics join Maritime for a massive block party from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. NW Ballard Way between 11th Ave and 14th Ave NW will be blocked off from 11:30 p.m. on Friday through 11:30 p.m. on Saturday for the festivities. Tickets $25. Read more here.
- Sustainable Ballard’s “Ballad Share and Play”– toy swap at Ballard’s Toast (5615 24th Ave NW) from 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- Ballard History Walk– “Lutefisk, Libraries & Lumber – oh my!” The tour from 10 a.m.-11:45 a.m. meets at Bergen Park. Cost is $15, with limited space. Call 206-504-0916 to reserve a spot or learn more on Ballard History Review’s website.
- Run Like a Viking– Costumed runners will gather for the 5K run that starts at Golden Gardens and continues along Seaview Place NW and the Burke Gilman Trail. The race begins at 8 a.m. through 11 a.m. (View results here.)
- Seattle Marathon 10K Race 2015– Starting at Gasworks Park, the race continues on N Northlake Way to the Burke Gilman trail through Fremont to Leary Way NW turning at 3rd Ave NW, returning on Canal Street to 34th on to N Pacific Street then the Burke Gilman trail turning around under the Ship Canal Bridge. Street detours go from 6:30 a.m. to noon. About 1,800 participants are expected.
- Free yoga in the park: Every Saturday starting July 25th a free yoga class will be held in Ballard Commons Park with instructors from the Ballard Health Club. 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturdays through September. Bring a yoga mat! All levels of experience welcome.
- Eddie Spaghetti tribute at KISS Cafe– Fundraiser for musician Eddie Spaghetti from 4 p.m.-11 p.m. Art and cellar-ed beer action, music and more.
- Live Music
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks Botanical Gardens: 2 p.m. Featuring Mach One Jazz Orchestra
- Singer/Songwriter at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Marlaina Youch, Fredd Luongo, and TBD at 9 p.m. Tickets $8.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Tractor Tavern (5213 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Watkins Family Hour and Guests including Fiona Apple. Tickets $30
- Rock/Pop at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring The Crying Shame, Colt Kraft Band, and Lowman Palace. Tickets $8.
- Jazz at Egan’s Ballard Jam House (1707 NW Market St). Featuring chamber groove quartet Zoo Patrol at 7 p.m. and Jill Cohn Trio at 9 p.m. Tickets $8/$15.
SUNDAY, August 23
- Frida Clements book signing of her illustrated book ‘Have a Little Pun’ at Annie’s Art and Frame (2212 NW Market St) from 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- Ballard Farmer’s Market along Ballard Ave from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Click here to see this week’s specials.
- Live Music
- Sonic Boom in-store concert: Featuring Briana Marela, who will also be performing with Seattle’s Decibel Festival this September. Free all-ages show at 4 p.m.
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks Botanical Gardens: 2 p.m. Featuring Microsoft Jumpin Jive Orchestra
- Open mic at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) sign-up at 7:30 p.m.
- Rock/Pop at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Talk in Tongues. Tickets $10.