Over the next few weeks, Seattle Public Utilities’ contractor will be concentrating their work on the Ballard Natural Drainage project in the area near Loyal Heights Elementary School on Northwest 77th St along 26th Ave NW between NW 77th St and NW 83rd St.
Last week the crew began digging in the planting strips, installing pit drains and doing water tests. For the next few weeks, the contractor will focus on rain garden construction, including silva cell installation and sidewalk improvements.
In addition to the above mentioned work, the intersection of 17th Ave NW and NW 80th St will be closed for street improvement work from 6 p.m. on Friday, July 22, through Monday, July 25 at 6 a.m.
The contractor will be removing and replacing concrete street panels in addition to installing new curb bulbs, ADA curb ramps and sidewalks.
What locals need to know:
- Traffic will be detoured around the work site along 15th Ave NW, 24th Ave NW and NW 85th St. The approved traffic plan requires vehicles traveling on arterial streets to detour on arterials streets. Please pay attention to traffic and parking signs.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained, but people should use caution.
- Crews will work extended hours in order to complete the work most efficiently. On Friday, crews will begin demolition work at 6 p.m. and complete by 10 p.m. per the City Noise variance conditions. From Friday evening at 10 p.m. to Saturday morning at 7 a.m., crews will prepare the roadway for new concrete. After 7 a.m. the concrete paving work will begin and last until approximately 5 p.m. Concrete trucks will be arriving in shifts periodically throughout the day.
- The crew should not be working on site Sunday, but the new concrete will need to cure before it is open to traffic on Monday morning at 6 a.m.
- Please note that during construction, work schedule can change depending on site conditions.
The intersection of 26th Ave NW and NW 80th St will have a similar closure the first weekend in August. Traffic details will be published closer to the closure date.