A fire that ripped through a boat house moored at the Shilshole Bay Marina just before 8 p.m. on Sunday destroyed as many as five boats and sent a visible plume of smoke throughout much of the Seattle area.
The Seattle Fire Department has confirmed that the fire was caused by spontaneous combustion of improperly discarded rags that had been used for staining. The fire has been ruled accidental.
Damage loss is estimated at $4 million.
A house boat is currently on fire in the Shilshole Bay Marina.
Seattle Fire Department crews have responded and locals have posted videos on Twitter from the scene.
The My Ballard team will update this story with more information as soon as it is available.
Marine response at 5100 Blk. of Shilshole Ave. NW, structure fire under control, crews continue to fight fire on one vessel. PIO on scene. pic.twitter.com/4sypTru97p
— Seattle Fire Dept (@SeattleFire) May 22, 2017
— Kendra Gilbert (@KLGnews) May 22, 2017