Discarded smoking materials cause $250k total of damages in Greenwood condo fire

An accidental condo fire– caused by discarded smoking materials– broke out in the heart of Greenwood yesterday afternoon, August 23rd. The fire displaced residents in the multi-residential structure near the intersection of N 87th Street and Greenwood Ave. in the north end of the neighborhood’s commercial district, none of whom were reported injured.

According to 911 records, the first call came in at 1:21 p.m. Around 1:45 p.m., Seattle fire PIO Kristin Tinsley reported that the fire was out.

The Seattle Department of Transportation warned locals to watch for road closures near the incident, of which continued to effect the area another hour after the fire was put out. Metro Transit rerouted Route 5 in both directions between N 85th Street and N 105th Street, because of the fire trucks blocking the street.

The Seattle Fire Department has since reported the estimated loss was $150,000 in structure damages and $100,000 in contents.

Help support My Ballard's independent local journalism

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
Notify of