The vote to annex had passed by 996 to 874 votes on November 6, 1906, following Ballard’s increasing difficulties in keeping its services abreast of a growing population. Particularly problematic was the clean water supply.
On the day the City ceased to exist, the Ballard City Hall was draped in black crepe, and the flag on the city flag pole hung at half mast.
Sources: Patrick McRoberts, HistoryLink.org, (HistoryLink.org Essay 1421, 1999); Walt Crowley, National Trust Guide Seattle (New York: Preservation Press, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998); Myra Phelps, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History The Engineering Department 1875-1975 (Seattle: Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 222; Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story ed. by Kay Reinartz (Seattle: Ballard News Tribune, 1988), 64; Jeannie Yandel