The biggest parade of the year is upon us: Syttende Mai (17th May) Parade is happening this Friday at 6pm.
In honor of Norway’s Constitution Day, the National Nordic Museum and the Leif Erikson Lodge will also have events happening all day (see below for the schedule). And because the parade winds its way through central Ballard, a number of roads will be closing and parking will be reduced.
The no-parking signs will go up 48 hours in advance of closing the area off to car parking, and exact closing times will be posted on the barricade signs. Most of the closures will be from 3pm to 8pm, with some areas closing as early as 1pm to accommodate revised Metro bus stops. Several side-streets will be closed to parking as well to make way for the parade staging area.
Road and parking closures will include the following blocks:
- NW 64th Street to NW 60th Street between 24th Ave and 28th Ave NW
- 24th Ave NW from NW 63rd Street to NW Market Street
- NW Market Street from 24th Ave NW to 22nd Ave NW
- 22nd Ave NW from NW Market Street to Ballard Ave NW
- Ballard Ave NW from Market Street to NW Dock Street
Here’s a full list of the activities on Friday:
- 10am to 5pm: Barneleker – Children’s Events at the Nordic Museum. Kick off your celebration of Norwegian Constitution Day with a visit to the Nordic Museum. Longstanding favorites like the Fjord Horses, Nordic Express, and children’s activities will be onsite from 10am–2pm.
- 12pm to 2pm: Luncheon at the Nordic Museum. Join us for a traditional Norwegian Lunch with our Grand Marshal, speakers, and musical entertainment at the new Nordic Museum on Market Street.
- 12pm to 5pm: Open House at Leif Erikson Hall. Experience the unique ambiance of the Lodge’s historic murals, treat yourself to a delicious ekte Norsk lunch, and enjoy live music. The Lodge’s Nordic Café will be selling its famous smørbrød, lefse, and krumkake.
- 2pm to 5:45pm: Entertainment at Bergen Place. Join us at Bergen Place Park with Host Eric Stavney of the Scandinavian Hour for a full afternoon of the best Nordic music. Fun, fantastic, and free family entertainment!
- 6pm to 8pm: 17th of May Parade. The parade begins at the corner of NW 62nd and 24th Ave NW, and heads south down 24th to Market St, then east to Bergen Place Park. The route then turns right onto 22nd and continues south down Ballard Ave and ends at Lone St.
To learn more about the festivities, click here.