A former potato chip and popcorn factory in Interbay has been nominated for historic landmark status.
The building, located at 1405 Elliott Avenue W, was built in 1931 as a two-story potato chip and horseradish processing factory, owned by the Portland-based Williams & Company.
According to the nomination application, the factory was designed by Seattle architect George Wellington Stoddard in the Art Deco style, one of three concrete Art Deco structures that he designed in 1931, “utilizing formwork to create decorative effects.”
Williams & Company used the building throughout the 40s and 50s, and in 1960, the company was bought out by Frito-Lay. No changes were made to the building, and they continued making potato chips until 1972 until they sold the property to Alfred S. and Gertrude Lapidus, owners of the LA-based Al Lapidus Popcorn Company, who sold pre- and unpopped popcorn to movie theaters.
The building was then occupied by the Harlan Fairbanks Company, which also produced bagged popcorn.
“In 1976, the machinery in the subject building popped 3,000 pounds of popcorn a day, in a large air-heated popper with a rotating drum, with separate equipment for bagging,” the nomination history reads.
Harlan Fairbanks occupied the building until 1990, and today, the company is based in Kent, where it sells popcorn machines and supplies.
In the 1990s, the building had various occupants: a lithographer, a billing service, a paper company, and woodworking company. And since 2000, the property has been owned by a series of LLCs, including the current owner, Elliot Way Partners LLC.
In 2004, the upper floor building (facing 15th Ave) was renovated to accommodate Downtown Dog Lounge, a vet, and a catering company. The building is currently vacant.
The Landmarks Preservation Board will consider the nomination in a public meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 3:30pm at Seattle City Hall (600 4th Avenue, Floor L2) in the Boards & Commissions Room L2-80.