The building that’s home to Lucky’s Pho, Ester’s Enoteca, and Blood Orange Tattoo may become a historic landmark.
The Landmarks Preservation Board will consider the nomination of the 115-year-old building at 3414-16 Fremont Ave N at its May 3 meeting.
Remsburg & Dixon Bank applied for the initial building permit for the construction in 1905, which cost an estimated $2,000.35, according to the landmark status application. The construction finished in 1908 with two retail spaces on the ground floor and a fraternal/social hall on the second floor.
Starting in 1916, a series of grocery stores filled the retail space at 3414 Fremont Ave until 1936. It then housed various businesses in later decades including a sheet metal shop, clothing stores (Mike’s Old Clothes and Glamorama) and eventually was home to Sonic Boom Records (2004-2006). Lucky’s Pho has been in the space since 2008.
3416 next door was home to Star Grocery (1911), the Fremont Shoe Store (1916), and then a shoe repair store “The Shoe Man” in 1917. A lunch shop and later a church filled the space, followed by a beer parlor and eventually the Angle Inn Tavern in the 1950s and 60s. It turned into an antique store in the 1970s —The Junque Shoppe—and later, Daily Planet Antiques. Fremont News occupied the space from the mid 90s to 2006, and then by 2009, was home to restaurant Homegrown until 2011.
The current tenant, Esters Enoteca, moved into the space in 2019.
Upstairs, 3414 1/2 Fremont Ave N was known as the Fraternal Brotherhood Hall. It remained a fraternal hall until the 1920s, when it was then a dance studio and later the Fremont Gym in 1967. It’s now home to Blood Orange Tattoo.
If you want to join in on the meeting and make comments about the nomination, sign up online starting two hours before the meeting at 3:30 p.m. on May 3.