Seattle City Council is moving forward with an ordinance that would install speed cameras around the city to curb the frequency of street racers.
The ordinance would create “restricted racing zones” on several streets around Seattle, including two in Ballard: Seaview Ave NW between Golden Gardens Park and 34th Ave NW and 3rd Ave NW between Leary Way NW and N 145th St.
The proposal comes after a recent head-on collision in West Seattle that sent the victim’s car into the water in Alki Beach. The driver is in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center.
The full list of restricted racing zones in Seattle would include the following streets:
- Alki Ave SW between 63rd Ave SW and Harbor Ave SW.
- Harbor Ave SW between Alki Ave SW and SW Spokane St.
- West Marginal Way SW between SW Spokane St and 2nd Ave SW.
- Sand Point Way NE between 38th Ave NE and NE 95th St.
- NE 65th St between Sand Point Way NE and Magnuson Park.
- Roadways inside Magnuson Park including, but not limited to, NE 65th St and Lake
- Seaview Ave NW between Golden Gardens Park and 34th Ave NW.
- 3rd Ave NW between Leary Way NW and N 145th St.
- Martin Luther King Jr Way S between S Massachusetts St and S Henderson St.
- Rainier Ave S from S Jackson St south to the city limits
The transportation committee will present the proposal to the full Seattle City Council next Tuesday, July 25.