Power Outage

Home Forums Open forum Power Outage

This topic contains 44 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

phoo
    Participant

GAM: It seems from a map I saw that in part of central ballard there was power on less than a block west of 24th. However, both North and South of that area with lights are powerless. Interesting to see the map and who is on what grid.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

The SCL said the phitzer wrench at the CO was DPD by an apprentice, who was SOL. The UPS was DOA after the MB was hit. The DF at the CO reports that the power is on to all but 174 customers.

Cate
    Participant

Ohio and GAM. I am just barely west of 24th on 57th and was not affected The QFC on the east side of 24th wasn’t affected either. Strange.

Cate
    Participant

They auto corrected phoo to Ohio. How very peculiar

Robotmonster
    Participant

Not to sound like a totally n00b but what is Realtime? Is that a website?

Cate
    Participant

Realtime is a Seattle Fire Department website that lists every call that the fire department has responded to that day. What time, which vehicles responded, the address they are responding to and the reason. I check it every night before I go to bed to get a feel for what went on in the city that day. Just goggle seattle fire department real time.

Novalis
    Participant

NW 57th and 24th, working fine, not even a hiccup that I noticed.

Actually wouldn’t of known that there was an outage unless I read this forum, walked from nearby the qfc to ballard ave, and back, around 12:30am to 2am. Everything was the same as everynight.

phoo
    Participant

I’d like to recant my story. I misunderstood that it happened a different time, not this time.

great idea
    Participant

there are many parts of the world where people probably start a new blog post because they suddenly have power!

funny also how many people were still able to post without power!

‘merica!

phoo
    Participant

GI: I noticed that too. It’s difficult for me to log in from my phone and although my networking equipment was functioning, the DSL was down. Possibly the CO doesn’t have ALL the equipment on a UPS. I just waited it out. When I heard the 4am time frame, I shut down everything here. A real shame too… I could have kept my 840 days of uptime on my shell box!

Life is amazing
    Participant

Was at the Amazing Grace building at 61st and 20th breaking down tables and putting back all the chairs after a wedding, It was kind of fun doing in the dark with just the emergency lights.
    People get silly and fun when stuff goes wrong.

Ernie
    Participant

We’ll I’ve had like 25 years of uptime on my 1970’s Pioneer amp and it shit the bed during the power outage last night. The power actually went on-off-on-off and the amp didn’t like it, the main fuse is blown, so hopefully a new fuse will fix it, but I’m not overly optimistic after hearing the noises it was making before it shut down.

Should have had it on a surge protector.

phoo
    Participant

oh no, Ernie! I am so sorry to hear that. Yes, the power did blink before it went out for good. I had everything important on the UPS or the surge protector built into the UPS, so I got lucky on that. I do hope just a fuse is needed. Do keep us updated. I know it would be a real bummer to lose something you’ve had so long.

Shelley

I thought all was well in the house after powerus interruptus last night. Amazing that the clock on the microwave is working, just not anything else. No door light. No nuking possible. If it only weren’t “built in” above the stove. Arrrrgh! I swear this thing has cost 5 times what a cheapie Emerson at Freddie’s does.

phoo
    Participant

The city also had to manually reset the light on 20th/65th. It went all blinky again after the power was restored.

Wow, that microwave IS a cheapie. I’d say it could be a blown fuse, but I haven’t the foggiest how you’d replace that on a microwave.

Shelley

Phoo, the microwave was expensive to begin with (this is a similar, newer model http://www.amazon.com/PNM9196SFSS-Profile-Stainless-Range-Microwave/dp/B00EZ2EWK8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2 ) and is expensive to repair. It’s had 4 repairs since it was put in as a part of a remodel. It has a built in range hood and light, both of which still work. It has now needed repair four times, once on warranty, and my late husband fixed it twice (the parts he ordered over the internet were more than $100 each). And now. Thinking more about it, it probably had nothing to do with the power outage. After all, I wasn’t home, and it wasn’t being used when the power went down. Just a weird coincidence I guess.

phoo
    Participant

It depends if there was a surge at your house. It’s possible. A power surge can mess up an item that is plugged in, off and not on a surge protector.

Interesting though that the clock functions… that means it’s getting power. The microwave does indeed look more expensive than the average stand alone model. It does more and can actually be serviced. I looked up your unit, but couldn’t find anything more helpful than a user’s manual. Here is the troubleshooting page for a different unit from the same mfg: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/726833/Ge-Dvm1950.html?page=37#manual It suggests checking the keypad first (this requires a multimeter). http://www.manualslib.com/manual/726833/Ge-Dvm1950.html?page=42#manual

Table of contents: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/726833/Ge-Dvm1950.html?page=4#manual

I wonder if you have a technical manual for your model already since it’s been fixed in the past? Or maybe you can order one?

Shelley

Thanks Phoo. Didn’t realize a power surge could take out something that was only plugged in and not operating, but it makes sense with the complexity of these things. No tech manual unfortunately. My late husband was pretty much a wizard with electronic things and I don’t think he knew how to open a manual. Scopes and meters and signal generators and injectors and breakout boards and analyzers and who knows what else. Me, not so much (not at all).

Interesting site, they don’t have the exact manual, but one for a slightly smaller model (1.7 cubic feet instead of 1.9). The model I posted earlier was essentially the same except 8 years or so newer.

Richy
    Participant

Shelly, well try unplugging the unit, wait 2-3 mins then plug back in and see if it will work – these devices have a “crow-bar” protection and needs to have power removed then it will re-set it self.

I hate integrated items, if it is broken, and you do not really love the thing, then I suggest buying a good exhaust hood and a counter top microwave (I bought my last one in stainless for about $40.00 – hood will cost about $300 – $500 and will have auto on/off and move about 4X more air then what you have now.

Shelley

Thanks Richy. I wouldn’t have thought of that (funny how we do it with computers all the time). I just threw the breaker (I think it is hard wired in). And now after 10 minutes turned it back on. Still the same. Clock, vent fan, range light work, but keypad dead for anything but setting the clock.

Think you’re right. This all in one unit has one really ugly strike against it being manufactured by GE. That and it’s doing too many things, none well. And two prior failures mean nice range hood plus smaller countertop microwave in the near future.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.