Mystery time capsule opened

Posted by Geeky Swedes on June 7th, 2009

A time capsule that was discovered during the demolition of the old Norway Center building on Queen Anne was opened at Leif Erikson hall on Sunday.

Tom Stang, retired consul of the Royal Norwegian Consulate, offered his memories of the Norway Center to the 100 or so people in attendance. “Friday I drove by the site, which is now just a hole in the ground. I can’t say I was sad, but… it was a lot of memories,” he said, fighting back tears.

A few moments later, Doug Dixon from the Pacific Fishermen’s Shipyard began to hammer away at steel time capsule, which was welded shut. “It seems that our forefathers were serious about having a capsule that would be sealed from any casual attempt to view its contents,” said Russ Oberg, president of Leif Erikson Lodge. The crowd cheered when Dixon was finally able to open the box.

The first object pulled from the capsule was a copy of the Seattle Daily Times from December 29, 1950. “GM Closes 5 Assembly Plants in One Week,” was one of the headlines, which got a chuckle from the crowd.

Also pulled from the steel box was a letter from the Daughters of Norway, several programs from the Norwegian Male Chorus of Seattle, the program from the dedication of the Norway Center, a letter explaining the history of Valkyrien Lodge #1, as well as several other newspapers and historical documents. There was not, as some had hoped, anything from Norway Hall, which was built in 1915.

After the event, attendees were able to walk up and inspect the contents of the steel box, a flashback in time for a generation rich in memories.

• 1 cherry casino blog // Jan 7, 2015 at 4:33 am

Hi there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest
    to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

• 2 new vitiligo cure 2015 // Jan 7, 2015 at 12:53 pm

It’s very straightforward to find out any topic on web as
    compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this web page.

Here is my blog post :: new vitiligo cure 2015

• 3 Thomasina Holeman // Jan 7, 2015 at 7:43 pm

excellent points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your put up that you just made a few days ago? Any positive?

• 4 best gay dating sites // Jan 8, 2015 at 8:17 am

How do I remove an image from my blogger sidebar?

• 5 comforters // Jan 8, 2015 at 9:08 am

I’m planning on doing an English Literature with Creative Writing undergraduate degree course, beginning in 2010. Initially, I just wanted to study English, but recently I’ve decided I would be better suited to English Literature with Creative Writing. Are there any universities that are especially good for English and creative writing? A lot of the universities I had previously been looking at don’t offer the course, and The Times University Guide only offers an English league table. All answers appreciated! (-:.

• 6 Wilford Sherrard // Jan 8, 2015 at 10:16 am

I like this post, enjoyed this one thankyou for putting up.

• 7 host gator // Jan 9, 2015 at 9:14 am

What’s the best way to copyright a website and all its contents? Copyright poetry?

• 8 Faivish Pewzner // Jan 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm

How do I make my own Blogger layout? I already made a header, I want to learn how to make a matching layout?

• 9 Faivish Pewzner // Jan 9, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I am a business man dealing in direct marketing. I need to start a blog for my business purposes. For this I hope I do not have to have an exclusive web site. Kindly advise about books where the fundamentals are explained..

• 10 hughesnet satellite internet // Jan 10, 2015 at 10:40 am

I’m currently using a classic blogger template and I would like to know how you put an rss feed on it. Normally, blogger has an rss feed avaliable on the newer templates but my blog doesn’t have one. Also, is there some sort of widget I could also install for followers?.

• 11 skup samochodów milicz // Jan 11, 2015 at 5:01 am

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

• 12 directv bundle // Jan 11, 2015 at 11:18 am

I have been told to improve your creative writing you need to read a lot.. What great classic books, can I read (from any period or country) that will improve my writing.. Genre is unimportant, though I am not writing for children.. I said classic, I read science fiction/recent literature as entertainment. But to improve the quality of writing, read the masters. Can any one write a list of great writers to read..

• 13 złomowanie aut milicz // Jan 11, 2015 at 2:50 pm

If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

• 14 Max man IV Capsule // Jan 11, 2015 at 10:16 pm

trusted online stores article augmented and after that returned quick sales styles, still it’s even to the beginning of the to have a good common sense ask now how sensible taut days to weeks actually is. boss Jamie Greene announced in, “it really works for this reason successfully that all those of the larger suppliers have definitely harvested our family throughout “you are taking one of our pills, Greene added, “combined with within just 30 in which to 60 min’s, It’ll be prepared for action.

• 15 triple miraclezen wholesale // Jan 11, 2015 at 10:16 pm

internet vendors analysis raised and as a result reverberate earnings tendencies, having said that our even so to prematurely to brew a good intelligence ask the way sensible solid night times actually is. top dog Jamie Greene proclaimed that a lot of, “it truly does work too incredibly well that most of of the larger their distributors contain chosen involving ascending “you are taking one of our medications, Greene long term, “and even within the 30 that 60 a few minutes, It’ll be equipped for action.

• 16 buste per auguri // Jan 12, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Good and interesting site.

• 17 Edra Vienneau // Jan 12, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Enjoyed examining this, very good stuff, thankyou . “A man does not die of love or his liver or even of old age he dies of being a man.” by Percival Arland Ussher.

• 18 Gilbert Gou // Jan 12, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

• 19 Johnson Tansil // Jan 13, 2015 at 6:23 am

Hello there, I discovered your site via Google at the same time as looking for a similar matter, your website got here up, it appears great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

• 20 gucci disco bag dark pink urine // Jan 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm

gucci disco bag dark pink urine akobvekrxx replica de hermes gloves ddfokdhaz