Rock thrown through window of Ballard restaurant

Posted by Geeky Swedes on July 31st, 2009

Someone threw a rock through the window of Restaurante Michoacan at 8311 15th Ave NW early this morning and got away with a couple bottles of whiskey.

“That is a couple of young thugs in the neighborhood who wanted to go into that section of the restaurant,” Rudy McCoy-Pantoja Jr. a friend of the owner tells us. The alarm went off at 2 a.m. after the suspect(s) broke the glass, and McCoy-Panoja Jr. believes that the noise of the alarm scared the culprit(s) away. Even though only liquor was stolen, the window will be $1,300 to replace. “It’s not easy in this economy,” McCoy-Pantoja Jr. said.

• 1 NoraBell // Jul 31, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Man, they're having a bad week. This is such a great restaurant too, and a long time Ballard business.
    Hey, Geeky Swedes, did they say the would have to close for any length of time because of this?

• 2 chopper_74 // Jul 31, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Pathetic. One thought foremost in my mind…
    If your punk kid is passed out this afternoon, and you see a bottle of whiskey laying around…Put two and two together for a change.
    Let them sleep this one off in K.C. Jail.

• 3 Geeky Swedes // Jul 31, 2009 at 6:56 pm

NoraBell – They're not closing for any length of time because of this.

• 4 Bella // Jul 31, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Infuriating.
    I love Michoacan!
    I will have to make sure I visit this weekend, and help the out by spending some $$ there!

• 5 randi // Jul 31, 2009 at 7:35 pm

so sad..that place is great and the staff is so nice

• 6 skookum // Jul 31, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I know where I'll be eating dinner tonight.

• 7 SPG // Jul 31, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Didn't the liquor store by the locks have the same thing happen a few months ago? Wasn't the culprit a well known 'street person'?
    How do they know it was teens?

• 8 Guest // Jul 31, 2009 at 8:38 pm

We love this restaurant. They have the best/friendliest staff in town, and their food is good and prices are reasonable. I hope their insurance covers it.

• 9 Black_Sheep // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I've never been there, but was planning to go after all of the positive comments in the forums after the smiley face incident…now I will have to go for sure. Bad week, indeed!

• 10 RIPKingdome // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:22 pm

around 12:30 am I was on the #15 bus, and this couple of punks walked past me, they smelled so strongly of alcohol that I instantly felt hungover as they passed me to get off the bus…

…I wonder.

• 11 Timothyrslatteryjr // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:26 pm

You would call the cops on your own kid? I would pay for the window and make my kid work to pay me back, and write a letter of apology. A $1300 window is not worth having a MM1 charge on their record for the rest of their life by the way thats a felony.

• 12 SeaSpider // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:27 pm

That is a bummer. We've been there several times – nice people and decent Mexican food for Seattle. We'll have to go there this week to help them out.

• 13 NoraBell // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Good to hear. Thanks, Geeky Swedes!

• 14 NoraBell // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:54 pm

And big portions, Black_Sheep. You won't leave hungry. In fact I always have to pack some to take home with me every time I go there.

• 15 BallardBob // Jul 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm

If my kid was caught doing this type so sociopath behavior you bet your bottom dollar that I would be calling the cops on them, and they know it.

Slapping them on the wrist once it as escalated this far is purely an enabling behavior on part of the parents.

• 16 chopper_74 // Jul 31, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Sir, once your kid exhibits this kind of behavior, I'd rather you try something different than what you have.
    Call the cops on my kids? I don't see that happening, see, they aren't exactly hip with the hoody punks in town.
    That's not luck, btw.

• 17 eric // Jul 31, 2009 at 11:16 pm

lame man! this place can't catch a break this week.

• 18 Bangoskank // Aug 2, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Damn right you should call the cops on your own kids! Growing up it was made clear to me by my parents that if I was engaging in any illegal behavior they would not hesitate to let me spend a night in jail.
    I don't know that this was what kept me from misbehaving (or generally keeping any substance or misbehavior well out of sight of my parents) but here I stand with a clean record.
    Yes, I would like a cookie!

• 19 chopper_74 // Aug 2, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Good, set about earning said cookie… ;-)

• 20 Ballardmom // Aug 3, 2009 at 4:05 pm

If I caught my kid drinking and being unruly I would discipline them myself. If I caught them threatening a business owner, vandalizing the property then stealing from them I would call the cops on them because obviously they are little punks who need to learn some consequences. If I bailed them out I imagine they would continue the behavior and figure that it's not such a big deal to commit a felony cause mommy will bail them out. If they realize that if they commit a felony they could go to jail and have it on their permanent record, maybe they'd be less inclined to act that way. But my plan is to teach my kid responsibility from a young age so that they understand when they're older not to commit felonies to begin with.

• 21 Ballardmom // Aug 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm

It sounds like from the article it was the same kids who were causing trouble trying to get into the bar earlier in the evening so they would be able to identify if they saw them again.

• 22 ShoelessWA // Aug 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Sad to hear, they really are the Nicest owners/staff around and you won't hear me complaining about the food, not to mention the great margaritas!

We'll have to go/take-out a few extra times this week to 'help out'. ;)