Madame K’s to close this fall

Posted by Geeky Swedes on July 21st, 2010

There have been rumors circling for a year that Madame K’s Pizza Bistro (5327 Ballard Ave. NW) was closing.

Now the Madame makes the official announcement on the restaurant’s Facebook page:

Hi Everyone! Well, here goes! This is the official announcement that Madame K’s will be starting the count down to closing on October 28, 2010. I know, I know, you heard this last year, but it actually is coming from the Madame’s own typing mouth.

Thank you Alyson for the tip!

• 1 Edog // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Was she trying to find a buyer, or was it simply someone to take over her lease? Does this mean her lease is up, and there will be no restaurant there when she leaves?

• 2 girl25 // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

oh no! Madame K’s is the cutest little place. Great pizza too. That really sucks :(

• 3 Walter Agony // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Damn. I love this place. Makes me wish I’d gone more often.

• 4 Mr Ballard // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I hope it turns into a bar!

• 5 SusanK // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Just what Ballard needs… yet another bar… pretty soon there will be no maritime industry left in Ballard, it’ll all be tony little yuppie bars…..

• 6 Seattle757 // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:40 pm

No! Why, Why, Why???

• 7 alex // Jul 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm

SusanK. It isn’t the bar industry’s fault that there isn’t a maritime presence.

• 8 Nathan // Jul 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I won’t miss it. It was expensive, and pretty mediocre pizza.

Didn’t really get the over the top theme either.

• 9 gurple // Jul 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm

My wife got sick after eating there one time. It was clearly nothing to do with the food — 5 other people at the table were just fine.

But because of that she won’t go there, and I haven’t had Madame K’s in years.

I’ll have to get there one last time before they close.

• 10 SPG // Jul 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’ve been there a few times with groups of friends and it’s always been a good time with perfectly acceptable food (as an East Coast Pizza Snob I am contractually unable to actually say it was good).

Unlike last time around, the threat to close isn’t couched in an attack on the very people that were coming in to spend their money.

• 11 robotspider // Jul 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I’ve never been there, but if a restaurant can’t make a profit in a high traffic area like Ballard Ave, then the restaurant probably isn’t worth checking out.

• 12 zipper // Jul 21, 2010 at 4:24 pm

It was just time to move on, the business wasn’t a failure.

p.s. I’m all for tony little yuppie bars. I prefer tony big yuppies bars, but small is sometimes nice too.

• 13 Denny's bowler // Jul 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm

they raised their rent to an unaffordable amount…as property owners usually do in neighborhoods that start to show signs of fancy-pants-ness

• 14 gts206 // Jul 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I love their pizza, they also have a place in Carnation or Monroe (everything north east of Greenwood Fred Meyer is alien to me)

• 15 Julian // Jul 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm

It already was a bar. As in nobody under 21 allowed. Might be part of their failure to thrive. There are a few kids in this neighborhood these days, my house at least.

• 16 Walter Agony // Jul 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm

robotspider:

Thanks for giving your informed and well researched opinion on Madame K’s. I’m sure it took time to draw such definite conclusions based on a total absence of personal experience or research. I applaud your courage and I’m sure the people of Ballard do to.

Perhaps you’d care to tell us how you think China’s new policy regarding the Yuan is likely to impact Senor Moose.

• 17 liberalquietscan // Jul 22, 2010 at 6:36 am

I love the place.
    I don’t like the food.
    It’s a vintage Ballard spot.
    They are not kid friendly.
    I’m from somewhere else and this pizza is good.
    They should go out of business.
    Sarcastic comment about yuppie residents.
    Hey Blogger X – I don’t like your comment.

Same comments evertime – regardless of the business. I’m not sure why people use this blog to say ridiculous things about a longtime business that is closing. If you don’t have anything good or productive to say, get on some other blog and flame all you want. This is supposed to be a community site, not a place to toss around useless insults.

• 18 HeatherHeather // Jul 22, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’ve always wanted to go in…I’ll have to check it out once before it closes. Such a happy little storefront! I hope something unique takes it’s place.

• 19 Sven // Jul 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

The food is okay, nothing special. The atmosphere is the best part of this place. Funky is how I would describe it.

No great loss, there are already too many pizza joints around. What we don’t need is another Pho or Thai restaurant moving in. We also have enough trendy bars.

• 20 Denny's bowler // Jul 22, 2010 at 9:20 am

liberalquietscan,
    I remember the first time I ever read a comment thread too.

• 21 Madame KO'd // Jul 22, 2010 at 11:25 am

That place is a waste of space. Good riddance.

• 22 Kim // Jul 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’m sad to see it go. This was a fun part of Ballard history and a great place to gather with friends.
    I’ll definitely have to go back one more time for their delicious sangria!

• 23 hat // Jul 22, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I am lucky enough to live in the neighborhood and everyone I know LOVES Madame K’s!!!

• 24 gmo // Jul 23, 2010 at 7:58 am

In other news, Madame K apparently types with her mouth.

• 25 happier ballardite // Jul 24, 2010 at 12:36 am

went there ONCE. the owner was on the patio where we were and did little but complain about customers. the food was mediocre. this is no loss.

• 26 Angela // Jan 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm