A year ago today – the hottest day in Seattle. Ever.

Posted by Geeky Swedes on July 29th, 2010

Do you remember last year at this time? It was one year ago today that Seattlites experienced the hottest day in Seattle’s history.

Golden Gardens on July 29, 2009.

With the mercury topping out at 103 degrees, many people headed to the beach at Golden Gardens to take a nice, refreshing dip in the water.

Today things are much different. The forecast calls for “cloudy with local drizzle this morning… becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest wind to 10 MPH.”

Golden Gardens on July 29, 2010.

We headed back down to Golden Gardens and it was quite the juxtaposition. Only a few people were at the beach and they wore long pants and jackets, not swimsuits and sunblock.

• 1 WildernessBarbie // Jul 29, 2010 at 11:47 am

I remember that week very well! I got married August 1st and was freaking out a bit about the thought of my 90 year old Grandfather in a black tux in the sun for 30 minutes in that heat! Luckily the weekend was much cooler. A/C in the car that seemed to be OK the rest of the year couldn’t keep up with the weather that day!

• 2 Luke // Jul 29, 2010 at 11:55 am

I told you global warming was a fraud! (Kidding)

• 3 boardbrown // Jul 29, 2010 at 11:59 am

I remember that day too, Barbie. I took my wife (who was 8 months pregnant) and our two wee ones over to Bainbridge Island for the day. We have some friends there who have a house right on the water. I remember standing knee deep in the sound, every surface of my body above the water line feeling like a charred hot dog, looking at the mature willow trees lining the shore and marveling at how not a single branch was swaying in the breeze. It was like the entire Earth was at a standstill, cooking like a hot potato on a charcoal fire.

• 4 Mallard // Jul 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I was also 8 months pregnant during that heat wave last year. Ugg. I wish we could have had last summer and this summer switch places. This year I would totally welcome a little crazy heat, but last summer – not so much.

• 5 Edog // Jul 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Dog never came upstairs that day, and just sat in the basement!

• 6 SPG // Jul 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm