Firefighters rescue family from Ballard blaze

Posted by Geeky Swedes on December 31st, 2010

Updated 4:10 p.m. Firefighters rescued eight people from a two-alarm house fire on the corner of NW 65th St. and 9th Ave. NW early this morning. When rescue crews arrived, they discovered the house engulfed in flames and people trapped on the roof, both in front and back of the home.

“I was so scared, I thought I was going to die,” 16-year-old Ashley Luberts told a Seattle Times reporter about standing on the roof, surrounded by smoke and flames. Her 74-year-old grandmother, Maria Luberts, was also perched on the roof, waiting for rescue with the rest of the family.

“When we woke up, all we could hear is the screaming,” said Jim, a neighbor, who said he was hit with a wall of smoke when he raced outside. “The grandmother was stuck on the roof, so we tried to get her down.”

Lt. Sue Stangl with Seattle Fire tells us firefighters rescued six people off the roof near the back of the house and the elderly woman from the front. “She was on the edge of the roof, and police officers and firefighters helped her down, and basically she jumped into their arms,” said Stangl. “They did a fantastic job.”

All eight were taken to the hospital. The grandmother suffered from smoke inhalation, but she’s expected to fully recover, family members say. A 12-year-old girl, Ashley’s sister, suffered burns to her arms and hands. The others escaped with just minor injuries.

“It was pretty scary,” Jim told us. “I’m just glad they all got out.”

Lt. Tom Erickson from Engine 21 in Greenwood arrived just after Ballard’s Engine 18. He was part of the rescue team that entered the blazing home to make sure nobody was inside. “There was a lot of fire in there,” he said. “We stayed in there as long as we could, until they told us to get out.”

Battalion Chief Alan Cox says the first crews to respond may receive an award for the rescue. When we talked to firefighters about it, they dismissed the possibility and said they were just doing their jobs.

The fire was dispatched at 4:10 a.m. and quickly escalated to a two-alarm blaze. The two-story house appears to be a total loss. Still at this hour, the gutted structure is smoking, with firefighters occasionally dousing hot spots.

With 23 degree temperatures, the first hydrant broke as firefighters attempted to connect a hose. Water from fighting the fire turned into a sheet of ice over 65th and 9th. City crews spread salt over the ice to prevent firefighters from slipping.

With the fire under control, cold firefighters took refuge in a metro bus called to the scene to help warm them up. Some of their helmets were caked with ice.

After being closed much of the day, NW 65th Street reopened this afternoon.

A news helicopter hovered over the neighborhood for much of the early morning. From the moment the fire was dispatched, Silver posted updates in the forum here. (Thanks Silver for your help!)

Plus: Watch video of the fire from KING 5

• 1 Click Here // Jan 7, 2015 at 5:27 am

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

• 2 office chairs // Jan 7, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Wonderful paintings! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)

• 3 Go Here // Jan 7, 2015 at 11:57 pm

You completed a few nice points there. I did a search on the theme and found nearly all persons will consent with your blog.

• 4 เลดี้สลิมช็อป // Jan 8, 2015 at 1:05 am

Good ¡V I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

• 5 معدات // Jan 8, 2015 at 2:02 am

You are a very clever person!

• 6 Read More // Jan 8, 2015 at 2:40 am

I just could not go away your site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info a person supply in your guests? Is going to be back continuously to investigate cross-check new posts

• 7 cute comforters // Jan 8, 2015 at 2:59 am

Can Blogger be a good place to post a webcomic?

• 8 same day loans // Jan 8, 2015 at 12:21 pm

How to let the other people know about your blogspot?

• 9 miniclip // Jan 8, 2015 at 8:22 pm

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

• 10 go girls games // Jan 8, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

• 11 cool math // Jan 8, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

• 12 Faivish Pewzner // Jan 9, 2015 at 4:22 am

I see articles online all the time and some are quite interesting. Since I’ve written quite a few articles myself, and even published a few books, it could be helpful for me to get my name out there by presenting my articles. How would I go about putting them online for everyone to access, and could I make money posting them? This may be a silly question but, do people generally seek copyright for their online articles? Thanks..

• 13 Faivish Pewzner // Jan 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm

How do I go about copyrighting content of my website?

• 14 cheap car rentals // Jan 9, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I’m wanting to download some videos from various different sites like youtube, Google videos, and a few other sites for my entertainment at home. I’ve downloaded an extension from Media Converter for Firefox, but I don’t see it anywhere. Can someone recommend an extension to allow me to download online videos?.

• 15 frozen games online // Jan 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

• 16 frozen games online kids // Jan 9, 2015 at 3:52 pm

If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

• 17 Home Page // Jan 10, 2015 at 12:11 am

Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little out of track! come on!

• 18 Website // Jan 10, 2015 at 12:25 am

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

• 19 link // Jan 10, 2015 at 1:12 am

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful

• 20 homes for sale // Jan 10, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I deleted my Blogspot account some time ago. However, I saved the link from the blog and it appears to still be active. I don’t understand what I did wrong. I cannot get to the blog by typing in the original address, but I can by following the link. I want this thing permanently deleted. Can anyone tell me how to do that?.

• 21 miniclip // Jan 10, 2015 at 6:37 pm

• 22 miniclip // Jan 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm

• 23 Learn More Here // Jan 10, 2015 at 8:51 pm

You made some good points there. I did a search on the issue and found most people will consent with your site.

• 24 new games // Jan 10, 2015 at 10:04 pm

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

• 25 new games // Jan 11, 2015 at 1:01 am

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It’s very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

• 26 dating apps // Jan 11, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Does WordPress save all blog posts to only one file? If so, what file is it?

• 27 beta game baby makeover // Jan 11, 2015 at 4:57 pm

• 28 miniclip // Jan 11, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I’ll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

• 29 3d car racing game free // Jan 11, 2015 at 8:35 pm

• 30 game baby baby hazel parrot care games // Jan 11, 2015 at 11:13 pm

• 31 3d car games free download // Jan 11, 2015 at 11:44 pm

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

• 32 debt consolidation loan // Jan 12, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I am using the ja_purity2 and have confined the template to the centre of the screen (much like the joomla website). Now I want to add a shadow on the left and right of the “confined” template/website but have no idea on how to do it.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank You in advance..

• 33 Find Out More // Jan 13, 2015 at 4:35 am

I want to express my appreciation to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of setting. After looking through the world wide web and getting views that were not beneficial, I assumed my entire life was well over. Existing without the presence of solutions to the difficulties you have solved all through your entire write-up is a crucial case, and ones that might have negatively damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your blog. Your own personal mastery and kindness in dealing with all areas was tremendous. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a step like this. I can now look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for this reliable and results-oriented help. I will not hesitate to refer your web site to anyone who requires assistance about this issue.

• 34 get more info // Jan 14, 2015 at 9:14 am

I have to get across my admiration for your generosity supporting persons who really want assistance with the area. Your very own dedication to getting the message all over has been extraordinarily functional and has in every case enabled ladies like me to reach their endeavors. Your new helpful publication signifies a great deal to me and far more to my colleagues. With thanks; from each one of us.