Package theft

Home Forums Open forum Package theft

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  great idea 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We had a package stolen last week. Tis the season for thieves, evidently.

Anyone else experienced this lately? I know there was a rash of them a while back and the SPD busted a ring of thieves a few months ago who were stealing stuff from all over north Seattle.

phoo
    Participant

Tis the season for package thieves to be jolly, falalala lalalala!

So far I’ve been lucky, but I haven’t ordered anything in the last few weeks. North central Ballard (proper, not Crown Hill) here.

I’d be interested to see which areas of Ballard get hit or if it’s just scattershot. I seem to remember it being more centered in west Ballard last year, but my memory has been known to be fickle.

jburgh
    Participant

Not yet. We do have a great little spy camera I bought from Groupon last month. It is inside, but obvious to someone on the porch that they are being recorded. However, I have heard from neighbors that the package thieves are out.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

so far nothing taken, most of my packages come through the mail and I’m almost always home when the mailman gets here.

I was hit last year over the Thanksgiving weekend but so far so good.

Anyone else got packages delivered by the Post Office on Sundays this year? I had my doorbell ring this last Sunday and it was a mail carrier, said it’s a new thing they’re trying.

Anonymous

I used to be home for deliveries, but not anymore. Next time I’ll have them sent to the husband’s work address just in case.

I have to give props to Amazon – they’re replacing the stolen items at no cost. I was pleasantly surprised.

Chris
    Participant

I put this on NextDoor as well, so I apologize for those who are seeing a duplicate post.

After you’ve received your package, consider rewrapping it (empty, or perhaps with a surprise inside if you ate sushi the previous evening) and leaving it out for the sharks to steal.

The police don’t follow up on these things, no matter how clear the video is. Might as well introduce uncertainty into the steal/don’t steal equation for the people who are doing these things.

great idea
    Participant

I’ve heard a few proposals to put these decoy boxes out.

Don’t the thieves typically follow the delivery vehicle around though and swoop in immediately after it’s dropped? I’d guess they would take both the decoy and the freshly delivered one.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

Sometimes I set on my front steps, just to watch the neighbors and their dogs go by, with a camera. When I see the usual suspects “bike guys” wondering around I take their picture. I make sure they see me and they take off quickly. I have seen them snooping up driveways and looking in cars. Making it known that someone is watching helps and the prospect of someone taking their picture results in a quick retreat. These are the guys out scouting for anything they can grab quickly and take to a waiting car around the corner.

JM98107
    Participant

We’ve noticed the scroungy bike patrol around the Ballard Fred Meyer. Some of them pull the little trailer that normal people use for kids or pets.

great idea
    Participant

these thieves are not very neat. they usually discard the stolen boxes shortly after discovering the contents. and by ‘discard’ I mean they throw them out the car window into a ditch rather than going to the transfer station.

by filling-up boxes with junk, aren’t you essentially guaranteeing that this junk will end up on some innocent corner?

I like the idea of introducing uncertainty, but these other ramifications should be considered.

personally, I would advise making friends with the local busy-body on your street (every block has one) who likes to sit and watch the neighborhood.

Gnomie
    Participant

Oh yes! My dog has been caught off guard about the mail delivery person being out on Sunday’s.
    They seem to dress down a bit for Sunday and the pith hat is nowhere to be seen.

As far as if i had sushi the night before? I don’t know why that would be different than if I had steak? Well, I know the difference but in my opinion the steak aftermath is worse.

jburgh
    Participant

One of my neighbors posted this on our neighborhood website recently…

“Black Chevy Pickup 4×4 B84902Z – This vehicle has been spotted in various surrounding neighborhoods (at least Maple Leaf to Sunset Hill) – with a male/female team – one of whom has been seen removing packages from porches and putting them in the pickup bed and then they drive off. There is one instance on video, though not enough clarity for an ID.
    Please, if you observe this vehicle in your neighborhood, be watchful and prepared to call 911.”

phoo
    Participant

jburgh, thank you! I’ll keep an eye out. I’ll also spread the word.

Angeline
    Participant

Is that a license plate number for the black pickup?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

angeline – yes it is

Shelley

I saw the pictures on Crown Hill Neighbors Facebook page and here they are if I got the right URLs

and the license plate

The FB article is this one: https://www.facebook.com/CrownHillNeighbors/posts/805325272861387

phoo
    Participant

Hey, thanks for cross posting this!

Angeline
    Participant

Thank you so much! I am not too good at visualizing the truck; a picture helps.

Anonymous

Unfortunately, the cops won’t do a damn thing about this, even if it’s reported. Check out Danny Westneart’s recent column about his smash and grab. He and his kid tracked the thieves and called the police, and they refused to come and apprehend the suspects.

Chris
    Participant

As a result of the Westneat article, as well as some other things, “minor” crime now has pretty much the full and undivided attention of politicians on city council, which means it now has the full and undivided attention of SPD.

Where before they would respond when they could get around to it, now they’re actively trying to crack down on crimes of this type, especially with repeat offenders. Someone at City Hall removed their heads from their nether region long enough to say “hey – if SPD puts a little effort into catching people who are stealing packages for a living, perhaps all these citizens with pitchforks and torches outside the building might calm down a little.”

Anonymous

Let’s hope they’re going to actually do what they say they will. I’m very skeptical.

Chris
    Participant

As well you should be, Compass, but I’ve seen bureaucratic inertia in action before. This feels like one of those situations where the attention will continue to accrue.

GAM
    Participant

Having attended meetings with Chief O’Toole, I can say I’m impressed. I’ve also attended many, many meeting with management both in public and private sector, and I don’t buy into just anyone. CR, I don’t blame you for your skepticism, but I think she’s the real deal, and I encourage everyone to support her (until she gives us reason to do otherwise). She certainly has her work cut out for her, with all the entrenched issues.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I wonder why the picture of the truck and license plated hasn’t been reposted on the home page.It is pretty important info for the community

Cate
    Participant

I’m thinking good thoughts about Chief O’Toole. It still hasn’t been very long and I see the logjam starting to break. She has made a big impact on policing(increased patrolling) in Capital Hill/First Hill/Central District region already. I am ready for her to bring some focus to Rainier Valley and then to the North precinct.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.