« Ballard Restaurants

Senor Moose

Posted by Geeky Swedes on April 26th, 2008

Senor Moose Cafe (Mexican)
SenorMoose.com
5242 Leary Ave. NW (map)
(206) 784-5568

TheStranger.com: “The best breakfast I have had in some time…”
CitySearch.com: “Dinner selections include pork or chicken mole, carne asasda and an array of taco options…”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (192 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Ballard · Restaurants   Share

• 1 PennyProof // May 29, 2009 at 5:19 pm

It's my new fave! I've been here twice in the last week for dinner. Flavors to live for, service friendly and frequent. Only a couple of drawbacks — getting in and it's a tad noisy.

• 2 adam // May 29, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I went there a few months ago. Mine and my fiance's food was bland. Nothing special after a fairly long wait.

• 3 amusedpen // Oct 23, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I have to chuckle when I read some of the comments about Moose. I guess a lot of people grew up on Taco Bell, and to them that's Mexican food.

Senor Moose has finally brought Seattle a taste of Mexico, not just border Mexican food. You can explore the cuisine of Mexico City (which incorporates food from all over Mexico), Chiapas, Veracruz, Tlaxcala, Oaxaca, Michoacan, and many other regions of Mexico. The food is prepared fresh (check out the roasted peppers on the way to the restroom), and is as authentic by region as it comes in this town. Let's hope they inspire other Mexican restaurants to move away from the Azteca formula.

• 4 Kbrr // Dec 8, 2009 at 9:26 am

Great food, terrible service

• 5 huskerdan // Jan 14, 2010 at 3:49 am

Did they clean that kitchen and scary passage way to the bathroom? It's a Department Health nightmare waiting to happen last year when I went there.

• 6 Name // Jan 30, 2010 at 4:42 am

The long wait is not worth it. It was not kid friendly and the service was poor. The food was okay but not nearly as good as El Camino. Drive to Fremont instead!

• 7 BallardBabe // Feb 4, 2010 at 12:50 am

The food is good…but more of a white person trying to do mexican kind of way. However the food is VERY overpriced for what it is. I mean, how much can you charge for some eggs, black beans and flimsy corn tortillas? Mexican food is actually one of the cheapest to produce in the restaurant industry. $15+ for a small plate of breakfast food…please. You can fool the rest of the yuppie crowd in this neighborhood – but not me! you want real mexican food? go to 3rd and 85th.

• 8 wateand // Feb 4, 2010 at 11:56 pm

As 5 plus year Ballard residents that looove breakfast, this is definitely a favorite of ours. Obviously it helps if you like Mexican food! Very authentic Yucatan selections and taste. Haven't been here for dinner (don't really go out for dinner much) but plan on trying it. Due to limited seating, you will usually have a short wait any day of the week (referring to breakfast/brunch still-in the 10:30a to 1p range) , but certainly worth it!

• 9 nwhome // May 20, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Great food!

• 10 The Mayor // Jun 28, 2010 at 8:14 am

great service. walked right in on a friday night and was seated right away! it was real mexican food and a good time. i would for sure go back!

• 11 kellywatchthestars // Jul 1, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Have been three times for breakfast now. Service is uniformly terrible. Telling the waitress that your order is incorrect is met with a vacant stare. Not worth the wait, honestly, even though the food is delicious. Will do takeout next time.

• 12 george // Jul 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I used to eat here frequently. My last experience was so awful, however, I don’t think I can bring myself to ever go back. Had the mole with beef… the meat was fatty, gristly and worst of all, green on the outside, Raw in the middle. I spent the next 24 hours paying for those first few bites. Boooo Senor Moose!

• 13 JannieA // Dec 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I had added this restaurant on my favorites list and whenever a friend was visiting I’d suggest Senor Moose for sure in my suggestions for a place to eat.

After about two years a friend and I had lunch there and quite frankly neither of us liked our meals, mine was too dry and hers she said tasted weird, like the spices were added too heavily.

This happened twice more so I didn’t go there for about six months. But the good memories came back one day and back to Senior Moose I go. This time I got I think it was a Mole Chicken dish, OMG it was awful, it was a huge amount of Mole and almost no chicken but what was worse is it tasted like yesterdays leftovers, I complained about the excessive bitterness of the sauce (yes I know it’s supposed to have some bitterness – remember, I used to eat there often) and the waitress just shrugged her shoulders and mumbled something. I left about 90% of the meal on the plate, paid $16.00 plus on the way out and typed up a seething report on my facebook page as well as informing all my foodie friends. This is the second worst meal I have had in my neighborhood of Ballard.

And I might add, I can only remember having two “bad” meals anywhere in Ballard in many years. I love the food and food choices in Ballard so this I found really frustrating.

• 14 King // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I have been a long time patron of this joint. We went for dinner last nite & the enchiladas de puyo (my favorite) came out cold in the middle. I had to send them back (which I NEVER do anywhere), as I did so, the close talking d’bag at the new bar in back (very cool new addition – the bar, not the d’bag) tried to tell me that’s how the dish was. Ok, first back up at least 24″ from my face & second, I have been ordering this dish longer than he has worked there. He then proceeded to offer me another dish – I guess last nite they weren’t capable of throwing the thing in the oven for 7 minutes & bringing back out to me. Disappointing, but I will still go back at least one more time. Oh yeah, beware the plant in your face if you sit in the new back bar. C’mon Senor Moose, tighten up! Moi bien!!! heh heh.

• 15 Cody Proksch // Oct 21, 2014 at 6:09 am

Yes, you do. The contest portal is a facebook app.

• 16 anonymous // Oct 21, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I just want to mention I’m newbie to blogs and honestly loved this page. Most likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You absolutely have excellent well written articles. Thank you for sharing with us your web page.

• 17 my company // Oct 22, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Marciante@gmail.com

• 31 try here // Oct 23, 2014 at 3:45 am

Colonna@gmail.com

• 32 read post // Oct 23, 2014 at 3:59 am

Whitfield@gmail.com

• 33 Waylon Pulfrey // Oct 24, 2014 at 2:30 am

Real clean website, regards for this post.

• 34 Geralyn Roxburgh // Oct 24, 2014 at 4:22 am

I don’t usually comment but I gotta admit thank you for the post on this great one :D.

• 35 tv amr // Oct 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

I enjoy what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up to date great works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. There’s no doubt that itll increase the importance of my website :))

• 36 women's field fashion style // Oct 24, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossip and net stuff and this is actually irritating. A good web site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this web site, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?