Bear heads north to Shoreline, disappears

Posted by Geeky Swedes on May 18th, 2009

Update 10 p.m.: The black bear that ran through the middle of Ballard early this morning made a stop Monday afternoon in Twin Ponds Park in Shoreline, temporarily closing the park to the public. But a half hour later, it ran south a couple blocks and hasn’t been seen since. Here’s the latest version of our map, which tracks the bear since it swam over from Magnolia:

View Bear sightings in Ballard in a larger map

Fish & Wildlife officials, meanwhile, have discontinued the search because they don’t believe the small bear is dangerous. The bear had quite a day, swimming across the Ship Canal from Magnolia into Ballard late Sunday night, criss-crossing its way through the neighborhood with police and wildlife officials in close pursuit with tranquilizer guns and tracking dogs. The bear disappeared for several morning hours — wildlife officials believe it was taking a nap — before heading sharply north into Shoreline. There, the media joined the chase (video), with TV crews on the ground and choppers swirling overhead.

If and when Fish & Wildlife captures the bear, it will be “moved to where he belongs, to the woods somewhere,” said Sgt. Kim Chandler.

As is customary, Seattleites like to name our famous wildlife, so what would you name the bear? Post a few of your favorites in comments below…

• 1 rick gregory // May 18, 2009 at 9:57 pm

OK, how does a black bear get to Ballard in the first place?

• 2 Silver // May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Holy crap! Our bear is now up by the school that my boyfriend's kids go to!

• 3 Silver // May 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Good videos here about our bear:

One of the videos has footage of the “Bear dog” that wildlife specialists are using to track Mr. Bear.

Warning: Must sit through annoying advertisement to get to the good stuff.

• 4 Uncle Snuffy // May 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Maybe the Shoreline Costco is having a sale on 5 gal. buckets of honey.

• 5 BallardPride // May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Just heard a rumor here at work that they got the bear up in Shoreline by 145th. A co-worked was texted that it was caught around teh corner from a friend's house. Let's hope the scared young'in is ok, and moved to a safe place to roam.

• 6 Trix // May 18, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Excellent news if it's true. On the edge of my seat all day worrying about this little guy.

• 7 Edog // May 18, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Has anyone named the Bear yet? I vote for Bandit! Or some name starting with B. FYI – I love me some alliteration

A headline should read: Bandit Black Bear Bothers Ballard – Busts Backside – Hight Tails it Outta Town!

Go Bear Go!

• 8 Trix // May 18, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I hesitate to name him before knowing his fate.
    I don't know. Maybe Dash, or Cooper (as in D.B). Something befitting his traveling ways.
    Bandit is good too. I had a cat named Bandit once who was a shifty little bugger.
    Any news, btw?

• 9 Silver // May 18, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Since he's spending so much time in Ballard, how about “Snoose the Bear” or “Lutefisk” or “Stan Bearison?”

• 10 ktown69 // May 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm

apparently by walking…

• 11 ktown69 // May 19, 2009 at 12:01 am

King 5 says it's still loose. They have a great story on it right now.

• 12 Trix // May 19, 2009 at 12:18 am

Stan Bearison! Love it!

• 13 Bella // May 19, 2009 at 1:24 am

How funny. I saw them filming that this morning after I dropped my son off at school. My vehicle is stopped in the background waiting for someone to turn left at the end.

• 14 Silver // May 19, 2009 at 1:35 am

Is it this one?

Seems like the latest info as of 6:34pm.

• 15 Homer J. // May 19, 2009 at 6:06 am

We're here! We're queer! We don't want any more bears!

• 16 I left my heart in Mukilteo // May 19, 2009 at 6:56 am

Another vote for “Stan Beareson”. Perfect.

• 17 Silver // May 19, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Did you hear about the Swedish daredevil, Evil Knudson?

He jumped over 43 barrels of lutefisk in a rototiller!

(rimshot)

• 18 pattr // May 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm

IronMan Bear is my vote for the bears name. He swam. He Ran and then probably disappeared on a Bike

• 19 chopper_74 // May 19, 2009 at 2:52 pm

This morning, the bear is at large, and hadn't been spotted for several hours. He is definitely on the move, rapidly, covering a lot of ground. I was very pleased to hear that MYBALLARD.COM was getting plugged on the news channels for the incredible map of sightings and times found here. Great job, as always, Swedes!
    And 'bandit' is the perfect name…he stole our hearts ;-)

• 20 Silver // May 19, 2009 at 2:53 pm

More video of our bear:

• 21 Silver // May 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I like the name Stan Bearison, of course, and I also like Dash and Ironman Bear. But considering that speed seems to be Mr. Bear's hallmark, I'm proposing the name “Booker.”

It's got that alliteration thing going for it, too. ;-)

• 22 SeaSpider // May 19, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Probably drawn to Shoreline by all the plump, slow moving people that will make good eats. Ballardites tend to be too skinny and fast moving. ;)

• 23 SeaSpider // May 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm

No, he took the 28 bus. Oh wait, there's no way he could have gotten here so quickly on a Metro bus.

• 24 gooner // May 19, 2009 at 4:08 pm

cheesy i know, but i am surprised we haven't had the name Bearllard suggested.

Free Bearllard!!

• 25 gurple // May 19, 2009 at 4:13 pm

How about Bjorn?

• 26 Melyssa Rice // May 19, 2009 at 4:16 pm

How about Yogi, since he seems to like a pic-a-nic bas-ket?

• 27 LukeR // May 19, 2009 at 5:07 pm

According to the Times, they named him “Urban Phantom”

• 28 Trix // May 19, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Agreed, Chopper_74. Geeky Swedes, you prove how much MyBallard rocks!
    And are the reason it does. :-)

• 29 Edog // May 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm

According to the Seattle Times “The agents, led by state Fish & Wildlife Sgt. Kim Chandler, named the young bear the “Urban Phantom.””

That’s a horrible name. In fact it’s not a name, it’s a radio handle.

No, no, no… Urban Phantom is an insult to a majestic beast. Minus 10 to Urban Phantom!

We need to name this bear now, and reject the frames being handed out to paint this Bear as a monster!

As a fan of long animal names that simultaneously mocks the tradition of multiple titles for pedigree dogs, and celebrates the many wonderful traits of the animal at hand, I submit the following for this bears name.

Bjorn the Dashing Ballard Black Bear!

Here is to you Bjorn the Dashing!

Go Bear Go!

• 30 Trix // May 19, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Urban Phantom? I like Stan Bearison better.
    But I'm liking Agent Chandler just fine: 'more chance of getting run over by the KIRO news van than being eaten by a bear.'
    You can tell he's getting a little annoyed at the reporters by now.

• 31 Tahomajim // May 19, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I'm to blame.
    Several years ago I planted over 50 salmon berry plants in my yard near Gilman Park. My son said salmon berries attract bears. I laughed and planted them anyway, guess he's correct. Sorry Seattle, and Ballard.

• 32 JMS // May 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm

HE SHOULD BE NAMED HOUDINI BECAUSE HE DOES A GREAT DISAPPEARING ACT!!

• 33 Mike Buchman // May 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Leif Bearickson!

• 34 sleestak // May 19, 2009 at 9:47 pm

great idea if you want to rekindle the great Magnolia/Ballard war again.

Remember, he was first spotted in Mongolia. I mean Magnolia.

• 35 Edog // May 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I thought about that, but it seemed to me that with the words Black Bear it was best to stick with a B word.

• 36 chopper_74 // May 20, 2009 at 12:12 am

Bandit hightailed it out of Magnolia…smarter than the average bear! ;-)

• 37 sleestak // May 20, 2009 at 4:09 am

nobody reported him in Magnolia because 98.4% of all residents are ~178 years old, deaf and asleep by 3:30pm.

(Homer: “Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.” )

• 38 Silver // May 20, 2009 at 4:50 am

Swimming is the easiest way to get to Ballard from Magnolia, but it's totally worth it.

• 39 Silver // May 20, 2009 at 4:52 am

As penance we demand pie!

• 40 seo plugin // Nov 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin