New tool for Ballard football

Posted by Geeky Swedes on May 29th, 2009

When spring football practice starts on Monday, Ballard High School football coach John Bowers has a new tool for the team: an aerial camera.

With just one win last year, Coach Bowers hopes showing film will help the team. This new $5,000 stand will hoist a camera 31 feet up in the air, providing a bird’s eye view of practices and games. The plan, according to the videographer Mike Willis, is to shoot practices a couple days a week and show the film during that week. The game footage will be shown the following week.

Up until now, someone would stand outside the fence on 67th and shoot the field, which didn’t work very well, Coach Bowers tells us. He also says that most other teams in the league use one of these camera stands.

Reminder: The Parents Night Out wine tasting event and silent auction to raise money for new uniforms is June 13th.

• 1 gurple // May 29, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Wow. I know that school funding works in really complicated ways and probably the money to buy a $5000 camera-lifter-upper couldn't have been used to pay salaries. Or at least I assume that.

But you'd think that they'd want to keep big-ticket spending kind of hush-hush right about the time 7 staff members are being laid off. Not so good for the PR.

• 2 Pennywyz // May 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm

School funding isn't really that complicated, and this sort of spending isn't new.
    Wouldn't it be worse to keep spending hush hush? I would guess that the Ballard Athletic Booster Club was responsible for this sort of fundraising and spending. They seem to be very transparent in how and what they support in our local high school.

• 3 Born right the first time // May 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm

This is BALLARD JR. FOOTBALL!!!

This has NOTHING to do with the school system OR IT'S FUNDING!

BJF is an independetly non-profit organization run by Ballard area parents and dedicated, hard working coaches that love these kids..
    Kinda like if the

Ballard Jr. Football has helped A LOT of young men AND WOMEN keep focused, involved and out of trouble. It is a fun filled & grueling program that teaches the kids respect, hard work, physical fitness and time management.

ALL the money for the uniforms, helmets, paying for the fields, referies, tall camera poles and everything else is raised by the fund raising sweat of the players and parents' brows!
    SHEESH!!!!!!

• 4 sheesh // May 29, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I thought Coach Bowers worked for SPS.
    I know that the fundraising event mentioned on the 13th is for the HS football teams jerseys/

• 5 Born right the first time // May 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

PS Please note the parents night out fundraiser listed at the end of the article..a perfect example of where this money comes from..that and the chuck wagon..and car washes…etc…etc..

• 6 gurple // May 29, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Where in the article is mentioned anything about Junior football? This talks about Coach Bowers, who I believe coaches for Ballard High, yes? I guess he wears more than one hat — I just assumed this camera was something for use in BHS games and practice.

At any rate, like I said, I'm sure the revenue streams are completely separate and it's not like the camera /bothers/ me, it's just terrible PR — assuming that it does have something to do with the BHS football team.

• 7 Geeky Swedes // May 30, 2009 at 12:55 am

We clarified the post. This is Ballard High School football, not Ballard Jr. Football.

• 8 Bulbous // May 30, 2009 at 7:32 pm

this sounds like a big, fat waste of money.

it's obvious from last year's record that this team could use some help, but I really don't think a better angle in the video footage will help players improve their skills.

• 9 AndreaL // May 31, 2009 at 1:55 am

How about they just drop the Football team at Ballard High? That way we don't have bozos running around a field knocking each others' teeth out, and as a bonus, we don't have reckless 5 grand spending for a failing team in a time of economic need. And then they can sack the cheerleading team, as well, so we don't have impressionable teenage girls shaking their butts to the latest rap song and sexually objectifying themselves to please said football team.

They should have given that $5K to the Office Max woman, if nothing else. Jesus Christ, what a waste of money.

• 10 david t. // Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Now they can see how bad they are from above.

• 11 Milo Watland // Oct 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

753409 670584You got a very fantastic website, Glad I observed it through yahoo. 359725

• 12 tv amr // Oct 24, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Are of those articles written you or do you hire a ghost writer?

• 13 Carroll B. Merriman // Oct 27, 2014 at 3:47 pm

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

• 14 Matthew Brandauer // Oct 30, 2014 at 1:22 am

609853 18105good day, your internet site is cheap. I do many thanks for succeed 680067

• 15 Irwin Manbeck // Nov 5, 2014 at 8:04 am

Canberra the capital of Australia went plastic bag free last year as well,

• 16 Usenext kostenlos // Nov 14, 2014 at 8:26 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful website.

• 17 Nell Milz // Nov 15, 2014 at 9:56 pm

135863 549855fantastic issues altogether, you merely gained a new reader. What could you recommend about your post that you made some days in the past? Any positive? 843141

• 18 photo essentials filter // Nov 18, 2014 at 11:45 am

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
    blog. I am hoping to view the same high-grade content
    by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get
    my own, personal site now ;)

• 19 how can i get a loan with horrible credit // Nov 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm

454798 730178Bereken zelf uw hypotheek. Hypotheek berekenen? Maak snel een indicatieve berekening van het maximale leenbedrag van uw hypotheek. 417910

• 20 kfzversicherungonline.org/kfz-versicherung-wechseln // Nov 25, 2014 at 5:58 am

Highly descriptive article, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

• 21 Art // Dec 10, 2014 at 7:40 pm

It’s perfect time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may just I desire to counsel you few fascinating issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I desire to read more things about it!