Whales spotted near the Ballard Locks

Posted by Geeky Swedes on March 29th, 2010

After a weekend sailing trip, Diana Lind grabbed her video camera when she saw two grey whales near the Ballard Locks Sunday afternoon.

On Saturday DDF wrote in the forum, “Was just at the beach, and a whale swam by very close to the shore. It wasn’t an orca (no dorsal fin), so I guess it must have been a grey whale. It slowly made it’s way toward Carkeek. Pretty cool!”

• 1 mamaC // Mar 30, 2010 at 3:46 am

Way cool!!

• 2 kmcsh // Mar 30, 2010 at 4:16 am

We saw it while at the beach at Discovery Park mid-morning, only about 75 yards from shore.

• 3 ballardmama1979 // Mar 30, 2010 at 4:39 am

cool video! But funny that the opening credits got the date wrong by a whole month! It's not April yet :)

• 4 BTown // Mar 30, 2010 at 4:47 am

Whales from the FUTURE!

• 5 wildernessbarbie // Mar 30, 2010 at 4:55 am

(Insert geeky Star Trek IV, “The Voyage Home” joke here)

• 6 BTown // Mar 30, 2010 at 5:00 am

That was my favorite one growing up… :)

• 7 Silver // Mar 30, 2010 at 5:31 am

Thanks for sharing that, Diana! I would have been fumbling with my camera trying to get the video setting on and missing the whole thing. ;-)

• 8 Josh // Mar 30, 2010 at 6:18 am

Ahhh, haa! I knew you were still around. Drove all over on Sunday looking for you Mr/Mrs Whale.

• 9 jburgh // Mar 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That is so cool. Thanks Diana, your video made my morning!

• 10 tonygumbrell // Mar 30, 2010 at 7:43 pm

That's great. Thanks for posting.

• 11 Luke Jacman // Mar 31, 2010 at 4:27 am

I was there when this was happening and saw the whale. On shore I was also surprised to see a man who looked like John Lennon. The man left before I could talk with him and when I ran after him I was stopped by a man with a radio like earpiece. I believe the guy was a bodyguard which makes me think this really was John Lennon!

• 12 Frigate Driver // Mar 31, 2010 at 5:10 am

Cool!
    Any idea as to the depth about 75 yards off shore?

• 13 longboarder // Mar 31, 2010 at 5:31 am

The whale was no doubt trying to commute downtown the “green” way, but like so many other Ballard area residents… couldn't safely navigate the train tracks on the “missing link” so he turned around and went back to sea. And possibly pouted about it later on a whale blog somewhere.

Can't blame him, really. It's one thing to swim under the train tracks on the bridge above, but to go over them on a street??? That's just plain crazy. I mean, honestly… this is a whale! Not a person on a bicycle. A person on a bicycle has many other routes available. The poor, helpless whale does not.

Finish the “Missing Link” for ALL Ballard mammals!!! I'm sure the new mayor is with me on this! Anyone heard from him lately?

Seriously, though. That's pretty cool.