A kitchen fire in the Blue Ridge neighborhood near Carkeek Park has been deemed accidental, caused by a stovetop burner left in the “on” position. There were no injuries in the fire, which happened on 105th at 14th Ave NW.
According to Seattle Fire Line, a teapot left on the burner most likely ignited nearby combustibles, causing the fire to spread.
The fire department says the estimated loss was $50,000. “Safety tip: keep stovetop clear and clean. Always check burner before leaving home or going to bed,” the fire department tweeted today.
Photo courtesy Brian Arendt, as posted in the My Ballard Group