Five Guys Burgers

Home Forums Open forum Five Guys Burgers

This topic contains 34 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Mrs. Whatsit 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author

donarb
    Participant

Well, it’s official. There’s a banner on the window on 15th and Market for Five Guys burgers, hiring shift managers. Looks like they’ll be right on the corner, with Bartell’s the next door west on Market.

And if you have peanut allergies, don’t go there. Their fries are cooked in peanut oil and they have free peanuts in the shell. Apparently the internets are filled with outraged parents thinking they were tricked into going to a restaurant that serves peanuts, despite signs everywhere, including the front door, that warns about peanuts on the premises. The stacks of peanut boxes and cans of peanut oil as you walk in are also a clue.

oldguybc
    Participant

We really liked them when they were new but the quality has gone down, especially after most of my grandchildren are no longer working there… have a place called Habit out of Santa Barbara that we really like and of course there is always In- N- Out, miss the old Zesto burgers from the 50s. Dick’s may be the best of the low cost fast food burger outfits in the US, never found anything to compete or even come close to competing at that price range… Seattle, you don’t know how good you have it.
    About the peanut allergy thing, Donarb, what is the actual percentage of folks that suffer from this? Only place I’ve seen it is on TV.

donarb
    Participant

The figure I found online was something like 1-2% of the population. Not to dismiss it as insignificant as the allergy is a serious problem to those that suffer it, but it’s not like FG is trying to mislead customers.

Some of the reviews I saw noted that people were upset that FG refused to change their policy, that those with allergies were being neglected, but with such a low percentage and clear warning, that FG made a business decision they can live with. I would think that the percentage of vegetarians are much higher (maybe 5-10%), and that’s a decision that they can live with as well.

You can’t please everybody.

Cate
    Participant

Well according to the National Institute for Health the prevalence of peanut allergy is 0.6% or roughly 1 out of every 200 people. Never been to Five Guys but sounds like they do a good job of alerting people. But allergies are very real and serious old guy. I am recovering right now from an accidental exposure to an allergen that resulted in a full code in the ER with all the lifesaving measures that entails. I feel very fortunate to be here. And it was something I didn’t know I was allergic to! Some people say they are allergic when something gives them gas or they don’t like it. But a true allergy is a very serious issue. And I now have my very own epi-pen to go with me wherever I go.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Yes I can attest to the fact that it does happen. My sister has a peanut allergy and it is really serious, she has had anaphylactic shock when she ingested peanuts in some food. Big problem for her. She has an epi-pen with her at all times.

gracie
    Participant

Cate, so glad you are okay. Some unknown insect bit my leg one time & before I got two feet away, my leg was twice size & couldn’t move. Ended up in ER. When bit I felt it. But when I pulled up pant leg nothing there. And only thing I saw crawling away was Daddy Long Legs. Some have said they are poisonous. Beats me.
    When I got bill from ER, in comments said “patient bit by unknown PERSON”

Novalis
    Participant

Depending on the way the stats are acquired 0.6 to 1.4 %

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_allergy

jj
    Participant

Do they have parking for those businesses? Seems like a busy car-traffic corner should at least have a parking spot or a drive thru.

I seem to remember many years ago that Denny’s was thinking of returning after all was said and done. I wonder whatever happened to that.

Mondoman
    Participant

Glad to read that you’re still here, Cate! That must have been very scary!

gracie
    Participant

5 Guys is not a drive thru type of business. I was wondering about parking too. Bartell’s and this place, there just isn’t enough street parking in area.

Cate
    Participant

Thanks mondo and gracie. Scariest thing I’ve ever been through. Am doing better today.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

There will be underground parking in the building. Just like with the new QFC on Market.

plasticbags
    Participant

Both of the Five Guys I’ve been to have huge barrels of peanuts clearly visible from the sidewalk before you get in the door. You definitely don’t want to go in there if you have an allergy. Or if you like crispier french fries. Their fries are pretty greasy/soggy. But the burgers themselves are good.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Another burger joint… Yay?

oldguybc
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re OK, Cate, allergy attacks of any kind are no laughing matter. Friend of mine had serious problems that were traced to dust mites (??) microscopic spider- like buggers that exist all over but are very prevalent in moderate climate habitats, his were related to his animals somehow, and it wasn’t the mites that was his problem, it was their feces… sobering thought, isn’t it?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Peanuts right by the front door doesn’t sound like a good idea. Can’t someone have an attack just breathing in the air there? I would replace that with a huge sign.

ronny j
    Participant

The Lockspot, The Sloop, Market Arms, Wingmasters, Scooters, The Loft, Old Peculiar, High Life, Wendy’s …… FINALLY some place in Ballard to get a hamburger!

I only wish I could get coffee … or a beer … somewhere …

ladybuk
    Participant

Don’t forget Lil Woody’s ronnyj! And Red Mill! And Dick’s! And King’s! Talk about over-saturating the market!

*edited to say- 5 Guys is the unnecessary addition. The other places I mentioned are awesome!

Avocado Head
    Participant

And Scooters!

oldguybc
    Participant

Along these lines, talked to a relative yesterday and probably offended her when she stated that she was “gluten free” on the advice of a physician. I asked her if she was diagnosed with a coeliac condition and she gave me a puzzled look. Her friend chimed in that SHE was the “physician” she referred to, and which I stated “Wow, you have a medical degree at seventeen, amazing!”
    Suddenly found myself alone…

Life is amazing
    Participant

I was just happy when I found out that their burgers are vegan and their buns are gluten free. Now they need to take the step to get rid of the peanuts and avocado (my bird can’t have avocado) and make sure there are no chocolate deserts (do you know how many dogs have ingested chocolate by accidentally wandering into a burger joint and ordering a cookie?)

The thing about the peanut allergy is that it really can be deadly. I have known a person that ended up needing the paddles in the ambulance from simply walking through a fair where someone was cooking their wares in peanut oil. Is it filtered enough to be safe for those walking by?

And Cate WTF! Are you really OK?

Chickster
    Participant

Where is it? I don’t even see a build out going on inside. Plenty of places to get a good burger but I wanted to try it.

donarb
    Participant

It will be right in the corner of 15th and Market. But it’s not open yet, they haven’t even started construction of the interior.

saffythepook
    Participant

Fortunately, market saturation is a self-correcting problem.

Chickster
    Participant

Well their website now says coming soon. But like I said there’s no buildout I could see. Supposedly it was already supposed to be open. It’s too close to my house so it’s probably a good thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.